Producing & Distribution

Hey all.

I have been learning to mix and produce electronic music for about 18 months now.

I'm at a point where I would like to start releasing some of the music I have produced, but I don't know where to start?

If I upload to soundcloud/youtube and get lots of likes, whats to stop someone copying it and claiming it as their own and selling it from itunes or beatport?

I'm just really unsure of my next step. If there's already a reference point if someone could put me in touch that would be great.

Thanks heaps!

If I upload to soundcloud/youtube and get lots of likes, whats to stop someone copying it and claiming it as their own and selling it from itunes or beatport?

Only upload a clip of your track or upload a low quality version (be sure to mention this in the track notes so people know it's not just a low quality production).

Are you looking to release your music yourself or looking to have tracks signed to a label?

Are you looking to release your music yourself or looking to have tracks signed to a label?

Ideally through a label. I think it has greater benefits as far as exposure & marketing is concerned.

Would I just hit labels up with emails and links to my mixes?

Cheers mate

by mixes you mean tracks right?

Most labels accept files through their soundcloud dropbox. there are some that do not like this though and would prefer a CD posted to them or whatever.

Look at a labels website and see what format they like to receive promo's.

What kind of stuff do you produce?

by mixes you mean tracks right?

Most labels accept files through their soundcloud dropbox. there are some that do not like this though and would prefer a CD posted to them or whatever.

Look at a labels website and see what format they like to receive promo's.

What kind of stuff do you produce?

yeah i meant tracks.

sounds pretty straight forward, i will look into a few labels..

at the moment im focusing on drum'n'bass, but given i'm still learning, pieces can often turn into anything. i would like to hook up instruments to my mixer but have had issues doing so, but that's probably another topic.

have taken note of the .wav and keeping original files.

thanks.