Ableton MIDI controller ?

Jarrah

Hey,

I am fairly new to producing with Ableton, and just understanding the basics of the program.

Now all I need is a controller of some sort !

I have played piano for 11 years and would really enjoy some keys in addition to the novation launchpad ?

What do you all recommend!?

I am looking to spend around $1000 for now but would rather less...

I here the Novation Ultranova is a good synth/ableton controller for the price and works well with the launchpad... is this true?

Thanks so much !

Jarrah

Get a Edirol pcr 500 42 note midi keyboard controller

http://www.rolandus.com/products/produc ... ductId=864

& a Roland sonic cell

http://www.rolandus.com/products/produc ... ductId=897

That will give you a keyboard that has 9 fader , 9 knobs , 16 pad buttons , 42 keys , and a cross fader....

Superior Desktop Synthesis for the PC Generation

Superior Sound Module

Equipped with a state-of-the-art sound engine, SonicCell delivers the pristine sound quality of a dedicated Roland hardware synth. A remarkable new waveform set has been created for SonicCell, including a world-class collection of acoustic instruments, drums, and percussion that are expertly programmed to provide the ultimate in expression and realism. SonicCell’s internal sound bank can even be expanded and customized via its two internal SRX expansion bays. Choose from over a dozen of Roland’s famous SRX Expansion boards (sold separately) that cover a vast world of musical instruments and styles. Whether you’re driving SonicCell from a computer, another synthesizer, or a MIDI keyboard or guitar controller, you’ll enjoy unsurpassed sound quality, reliability, and flexibility.

Seamless Computer Connectivity

SonicCell is ideal for musicians who use a PC as the core of their writing, recording, and performing universe. More than a mere sound module, SonicCell is equipped with a built-in USB audio interface. Simply connect SonicCell directly to your computer’s USB port, and you can record and create music with no additional hardware required. You can even plug a microphone, guitar, or other instruments into SonicCell and record your live audio tracks directly into your computer. And since SonicCell can help minimize the burden on the computer’s processor, you’ll enjoy more efficient and stable performance. As an added bonus, a free copy of Cakewalk's Sonar LE recording software included with every SonicCell sold, as is a plug-in style PC software editor, which makes sound designing and effects programming fast and friendly. SonicCell is the perfect all-in-one solution for synthesis and recording.

Ultra-Handy Backing Machine

In addition to its high-quality synthesis and audio-interface functions, SonicCell can be used as a virtual backing band. Simply create a playlist of your songs or backing tracks with the software Playback Editor (included free with SonicCell), and transfer the playlist to a commercially available USB memory stick. Insert the stick into SonicCell’s USB port, and it will become a stand-alone song player that you can play and control onstage or anywhere you perform. SonicCell can play back WAV, AIFF, and MP3 files. It evens plays Standard MIDI Files!

pads are sooo small on that though. :?

He will be using the pads on the launchpad for banging on ....

the buttons on my pcr 500 are not that bad....be more for EFX,s midi mapping in ableton

And you can use the sonic cell fat sounds as a vst inside ableton

Thanks for all the replies guys !

I assume the launchpad is very overrated... and the ultra nova as well ?

Looking towards the edirol keyboards and the novation remote SL's :)

The sonic cell looks really cool as well,

Again, thank you for all the wonderful replies

I assume the launchpad is very overrated... and the ultra nova as well ?

I have a launchpad and it's a very useful bit of kit. Especially good for travelling. I bring mine to site with me. That being said you can get more out of a midi keyboard with pads, faders and knobs to play with.

I have a launchpad and it's a very useful bit of kit. Especially good for travelling. I bring mine to site with me. That being said you can get more out of a midi keyboard with pads, faders and knobs to play with.

Oh okay so I may as well get a launchpad !

I'm still not sure which keys I will get this ultra nova for $350 seems tempting but I really don't know if it is a good controller!

Thanks again for the replies, pads seem to be very popular for producing, I will look into the MPC's later down the track ;)

Oh okay so I may as well get a launchpad !

I'm still not sure which keys I will get this ultra nova for $350 seems tempting but I really don't know if it is a good controller!

Thanks again for the replies, pads seem to be very popular for producing, I will look into the MPC's later down the track ;)

Personally for me I like having keys and a few pads but i rarely use pads. Keys are essential IMO.