Mac OS X 10.8 "Mountain Lion" Thread

Mitch

Hey guys so today the newest version of OS X is out on the mac app store as a 20-30 dollar upgrade. I'm On phone ATM, but I'm going to Write up a list of new features, changes etc. when I get home. Will also post review when I get it this weekend.

Also this thread will be where ppl can post q's and about any help you need with it so I can assist you guys :)

Mountain Lion is available from the Mac App Store here: http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/os-x-mou ... 6512?mt=12

Price $20.99

New Features:

Messages: allows you to send and receive iMessages to and from iphone, ipad and macs. Also conversations sync automatically between all your iDevices

iCloud: Ability to sync Documents between your devices through the internet, including syncing of reminders/notes made on all your devices

safari: new safari with iCloud tabs. All the tabs you have open you can access on your other devices

Notification centre: similar to the notification centre that was brought in with ios 5, a centralised place to see notifications from all your applications, which can be accessed at any time in OS X. (This will only work properly once apps are updated to support it)

sharing: streamlined sharing abilities from within applications. Ability to share to mail, imessage, airdrop (other devices on your network), facebook, twitter, flickr, vimeo etc.

game centre: similar to game centre on ios. play games against people on other iDevices, not just macs but any iDevice

Improved Dictation (talk 2 text)

Airplay mirroring: display your macs screen on your TV (requires a 2nd gen or newer Apple TV device, also requires imac mid 2011 or newer, mac mini mid 2011 or newer, macbook air mid 2011 or newer, macbook pro mid 2011 or newer)

Power Nap: keeps your mac up to date while asleep (requires mid 2011 or newer macbook air, or macbook pro with retina display)

Improved security: gatekeeper allows you to limit what gets installed on your computer by disallowing apps that aren't digitally signed, lowering exposure to apps that will compromise your computer. This feature can be disabled

rant/

i've just recently upgraded to lion, what a fucking disgrace. i've got a MBP 13" (the up spec'd version) i've had nothing but problems ever since. Prior to lion it was fast & reliable, initial startup took about 10-25 secs, now start (if it happens at all) takes around about a minute or more. I current have had issue with it not starting at all, having to re-boot in safe mode etc. then restart again. i've just reached that point where i've had enough really. i came over from PC for Mac;s stability and products and its just turning into a nightmare.

yeah i'm on lion. the only way i can seem to get it to work is by booting in safe mode. I worried by upgrading it may make it worse. probably cant get much worse at the moment. lol.

may have to take it into the genius bar which is a shame. just more time and money spent.

if it's only starting in safe mode and not normal mode, it means one of the applications you set to run automaticallly on login is bugging out.

start it in safe mode, then go to system preferences -> accounts -> login items and there will probably be one with a cross over it. click it then click the subtract (-) button to remove it from the startup list. In fact you can probably remove all the applications from there. then restart into normal mode and it should work

• 2 weeks later...