How to use Dropbox to sync Rekordbox on multiple computers

lloydc

Taken from Pioneer DJ forums

Disclaimer: do the following at your own risk. All care is taken, yet myself or ADJF will not be held accountable if you're a dumb noob that accidently deletes his (or her) rekordbox database.

1) This method only works PC/PC or Mac/Mac, it WILL NOT WORK for mixed OS's simply because of the difference in how each operating system indexes files. This guide will also assume that you have your music files located in the same location on each computer. It doesn't matter if that's on an external drive or an internal folder, it must have the same name / folder / location on BOTH COMPUTERS or your files will show up as "not found". If you need assistance with this, please ask BEFORE completing the steps below.

2) Install Rekordbox on each computer. If you already have it installed, great. You'll have to pick one of them to be the "master" for the start of this project. Run Rekordbox at least once if it's a fresh install.

3) Install Dropbox on each computer. You can place the "My Dropbox" folder anywhere you want. Yes, anywhere. I suggest under My Documents (Windows) or under your Home directory (Mac) so it's easy to locate later.

4) Step four is broken into Windows / Mac, please read the appropriate sections below and we'll meet back together at step five.

Windows

4a) You'll need to create symbolic links between the old Pioneer directory and thankfully, there's a utility to do it with. Do this on your SLAVE computer first, not the one with your MASTER database or it will be overwritten later. Go and grab Directory Linker. The program is self-executable so no installation is required.

4b) Running the program gives you this screen:

directorylinker.png

The settings shown above are for an XP installation, here are your file locations based on your OS:

XP: C:\Documents and Settings\YourUsername\Application Data\Pioneer

Vista: C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Roaming\Pioneer

7: C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Roaming\Pioneer

Clicking the folder button to the right of the field will allow you to browse for that folder, but if you don't have your hidden files visible, you may not be able to locate them so typing them in directly is an alternative to enabling the hidden files.

Be sure to replace YourUsername with the user name for your current profile.

Note that the destination is ...\My Documents\My Dropbox (or whatever you called it or placed it) >> DO NOT add \Pioneer to the end or it will not work.

Ensure "Copy contents..." is ticked and click "Go!". It will now move your Pioneer folder into your Dropbox.

4c) Repeat step 4b as above for your MASTER computer EXCEPT! when you get to the last line above, add a check to the box "Overwrite Target Files", this will now copy your master Rekordbox database into the Dropbox folder.

Mac

4a) You don't need a 3rd party app (well, technically Windows doesn't either, it's just easier with a GUI), just fire up Terminal from your applications folder. Do this on your SLAVE computer first, not the one with your MASTER database or it will be overwritten later.

4b) Type the following in Terminal:

ln -s ~/Library/Pioneer ~/Dropbox

(yes, that's an LN at the start)

If you happen to use any folder names that have spaces (like My Dropbox), you need to put quotation marks around that thing, for example: "~/My Dropbox"

4c) Do the same on your Master computer. You thought there was more? Nope.

5) Let Dropbox do its magic from your MASTER computer and once it's sync'd the files, move to your SLAVE computer and open Rekordbox. As noted below in the Caveats, you should see Rekordbox asking for your license key. If this happens, you're part-way to knowing it worked. After you re-enter your key, Rekordbox should show your collection of files. (If Rekordbox asks you for your key EVERY time, on a PC, you'll need to try running it as administrator, on a Mac, you may need to try locking your licence file. If you need help with this - just ask!)

6) There is NO NEED to change the location of your track analysis files within Rekordbox. It should remain default; if you ever changed it or plan on changing it, this system will no longer work as intended and you're on your own for that!

Caveats

I haven't verified this on Mac, but I'll assume it's the same ... Windows hates that you updated your license key file so it will tell you the key is invalid and to enter it again EVERY time you open the program. I have not found a way around this, the easiest solution is to keep a text file on-hand and copy/paste any time you run the program. I know it may seem like a nuisance, but I will remind you that you're now doing a seamless sync of your Rekordbox database between two computers (something it wasn't designed for), so suck it up. ;) You could go to the hassle of linking individual files but the problem there is if you don't link the folder, any new files created within will not be linked ... and trouble will ensue.

Don't run both copies of Rekordbox at the same time. They will create a conflict with the database as they'll each try to change the file on Dropbox and you'll just ask for problems.

Don't open Rekordbox on your computer until after Dropbox has synchronised the files from your last use on the other computer. If you open it before the sync is completed, you'll open it with an old file and risk wiping any changes you made.

^ For instance let's say I have my dj'ing laptop and my regular laptop, I like to listen to music with my regular, but my dj'ing one is what all my new stuff is on. This would ensure I had all my music on both!

but you could just use dropbox to sync your tunes without the organisation of rekordbox if it's just for listening too.

^ For instance let's say I have my dj'ing laptop and my regular laptop, I like to listen to music with my regular, but my dj'ing one is what all my new stuff is on. This would ensure I had all my music on both!

but you could just use dropbox to sync your tunes without the organisation of rekordbox if it's just for listening too.

Yeah seems like a massive pain in the arse to get going, would really only be people that use rekordbox over pro dj link like a dvs, and even im sure you would keep most of your stuff on your performing laptop.

The only time i have had to do anything similar was when my desktop died, but i have a mirror of my music drive in my pc on an external usb hdd, so i just plugged that straight in my laptop and went from there.

Jsut curious how others manage their files with rekordbox?

I make generally make a folder eg 'tech house' on my pc then copy the contents of the folder into a playlist on rekordbox named the same.

From memory though rekordbox doesnt handle duplicates?