How to adjust your track tempo on PC

Sax

Hi All,

Anyone know any good software that allows me to easily adjust bpm's? e.g. making a 90bpm 95bpm. I want match the songs so its less hassle when mixing.

I play foreign music and the bpms vary heaps. I want to reduce the span.

I currently use Virtual DJ Pro but I have to listen to the file at the same time. It takes for ever!

Another thing is i dont want to lose quality in the process.

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

To be honest, i at times just cant get the beats to match... it gets super frustrating!

I also have some R&B music where the BPM's range from 82bpm to 142 bpm.

What I also noticed is that the BPM may show example 120 but when you listen it is so slow!

BY the way I am getting these BPM's via VDJ Pro.

I also noticed that when I play the song via my decks CDJ 850. The BPM doesnt load! It takes forever for it to show me what the BPM really is :(

Okay...

Well what do you recommend?

Its obvious if a song is way off in BPM you wont be able to mix it... I am talking about urban music here.

So if i dont trust the BPM reader then what do I do? I am confused!

I have 200 tracks with bpms varying from 82 all the way to 150ish. Do I chuck them all in a USB and hope that I can find that is close enough to match? Please guide me in the right direction as I am stuck here and have no idea how to overcome this.

Sorry I am new at this and it just seems so confusing to me.

EDIT: My set up is DJM 250 & CDJ 850

you can use rekordbox to organise your music for use on usb with pioneer cdj players. it has fairly good bpm detection. you can also adjust the beatgrids to make them correct if its wrong.

then once you have the music on your usb you can sort by bpm on the cdj. so for example you choose 100bpm then it asks you for +/- x BPM. So you can choose 100BPM +/-5 then it would show all the tracks between 95 and 105.

Other than that another part of it is just knowing your tracks well enough to have a good idea of what you should mix into the track you have playing.

Hope this makes sense

Thanks for that, I am listening to my music heaps to understand what the songs sound like. Its surprising when you really pay attention you notice so much more.

The part that I get but dont know how to do is where you said "then once you have the music on your usb you can sort by bpm on the cdj. so for example you choose 100bpm then it asks you for +/- x BPM. So you can choose 100BPM +/-5 then it would show all the tracks between 95 and 105" <-- is there a video demonstration on this or something?

To be honest, i at times just cant get the beats to match... it gets super frustrating!

no one said it was meant to be easy, but dont give up, you are on the right forum.

Mitch's advice is excellent. DO NOT TRUST BPM COUNTERS.

here's a few other tips:

1) when BPMs wont match there are other types of mixes you can do that will suit. Try basic scratching, dropping on a break, cutting, or using effects to fade one out then dropping the next from a good cue point. It wont sound like beatmatching but not all music suits beatmatching, especially not rnb and hiphop. Listen to your favourite DJs mixing and work out how they made it sound good. Only EDM/Dance DJs do all beatmatching all the time.

2) songs are written at a certain tempo, if you change it too much you will lose the "feel" the song is supposed to have.

3) choose the order of songs so they only have a slight variation in tempo between each each time.

4) If you dont have a tap function to help you can also calculate BPM by physically counting beats while timing for a minute.

5) If you are using really varied music you may need to listen for any that are not in 4/4 time. eg some jazz, world, and some kinds of pop have 3/4, 6/8 or 7/8 time signatures. These will not beat-match over successive bars however magical you are. They will still mix though, you just have to get creative.

good luck.

Great advice guys! I love the help you guys provide.. def motivating :)

I am literally doing this on my own with no ones help. I am happy I got you guys! Now I can learn off the pros!

Okay well, my plan is to finally get all my music together by this weekend. I have a lot of shitty files I need to fix up.

Then using my ears placing songs in folders making sure they sound like they are on a close BPM. Like you said getting creative and practicing is key!

Thanks for that, I am listening to my music heaps to understand what the songs sound like. Its surprising when you really pay attention you notice so much more.

The part that I get but dont know how to do is where you said "then once you have the music on your usb you can sort by bpm on the cdj. so for example you choose 100bpm then it asks you for +/- x BPM. So you can choose 100BPM +/-5 then it would show all the tracks between 95 and 105" <-- is there a video demonstration on this or something?

Do you use rekordbox currently?

If so, here is the manual: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Stati ... ns1111.pdf

you want to enable the BPM category for each CDJ. do a search for categories in that pdf and it might help you.

if not i can make a video up for you

Yes I loaded rekordbox that came with the gear.

I think It has a manual in the folder somewhere but i have downloaded your suggestion anyway.

I will do some reading and let you all know how I go.

I am not really an instruction guy. My learning style is visual. I need to be shown to get it. However I'll give it a go :)

Thank you!