My First Setup & A Question!

ImADJ

Hi all!

Well, I showed my face on here a few months back wanting to just get into DJ-ing for my own entertainment, but I haven't come back for a while. Reason being that I have been too busy being a festival rocking, club packing all star DJ!

Actually the real reason for my lack of contribution can be attributed to my better half who said no to any purchases of more expensive hobby equipment.

Anyway, to the point, I have found my first setup, a Newmark Omni Control DJ controller. From what I can gather it seems that this thing was pretty popular in about 06/07 but is no longer made. I picked it up at a Sunday flea market for $50, the bloke saying it might need a service as some of the knobs are a bit dicky, so I took the risk.

Well, after heaps of issues with out of date drivers, crashing, a used up Traktor LE license amongst other things, I have plugged it into an old Windows XP computer and all is working pretty good!

Anyway here are some pictures:

21719_10200155300275305_2095160656_n.jpg

198081_10200155300435309_1657713260_n.jpg

And to finish things off, I have a question:

As I mentioned above, the bloke I bought it off said some of the knobs were a bit dicky. I think I have found what he is talking about. In the image below you can see in the Traktor interface that the crossfader is not fully to the track on the right, although when this image was taken, the crossfader on the controller was.

386374_10200155300795318_1078584214_n.jpg

So when I am using the mixer, I can still hear a bit of deck A when the crossfader on the controller is slid all the way over to deck B side.

However, when I have the crossfader all the way over on deck A, it works fine and I hear none of deck B. Does anyone have a possible solution for this? Or know who could fix it?

Cheers,

Alex

It's most likely something with the actual cross fader itself.

Easiest solution is to just use the volume faders (this is actually how I dj most the time - with the cross fader disabled)

You could try taking the controller apart in the potential that you could fix it without buying anything, but I doubt it. It's also not worth buying parts for something that cost 50 bucks

So I'd say unless your scratching, with that controller your best bet is to leave the cross fader in the middle and use the volume faders :thumright:

If your version of Traktor has the crossfader curve/lag settings adjustment you can go to preferences and alter these while pushing the fader back and forward in real time. You should hear when it works best.

While you are in the preferences have look around that the fader settings are all correct too.

Sometimes this will help but I'm not making any promises, yours does look a bit wrong.

But if not stick with Mitch's comments above and just use the volume faders.

Thanks guys,

A mate at work suggested a similar thing to overit, something about calibrating Traktor to the controller, so I'll give that ago. Otherwise I will just use the volume faders. If I can be bothered I might open it up and see if I can clean it out or something. Fortunately I tend to have a knack with electronics!

Cheers,

Alex

^ yer, calibration is different to preferences options but is actually a better idea.

google "calibrate numark omni with traktor" or something.

If that doesnt work play with preferences,

then resort to vol faders if still no better.

you still got a bargain beginners rig even if the cross fader doesnt work.

Good luck.