drum patterns

Gandy

was going to post this in the production section, but seeing as im really baffled by this at the moment and feel like a total beginner, thought id post it here (and maybe others who are new to producing are stuck at the same spot).

im currently working on a new remix, its one of the beatport ones so thankfully the acapellas are actually the official studio quality.

i am working on the first verse and have written a very nice progressive/melodic little number with the vocals, and now i need to write a solid drum pattern behind it, but the thing is all my experience music wise is with piano and piano theory, and when sitting my exams/doing my performances, i never had to worry about percussion/drums.

i only have very basic/default drum kits for my DAW, but even with that the shit im coming up with is total garbage (kicks and snares). I always thought drummers were just the retards of the band (not really, but loldrummer) and its really starting to annoy me that i cant come up with a catchy drum pattern.

any percussionists here that could point me in the right direction?

im about to go on a massive spotify/youtube trawl of all my favourite artists to get some inspiration but in the meantime if anyone can lend there professional advice that would be great

Personally i like to layer the shit out of my drums, up to 5-6 kicks on each pad, same with snares. I usually troll old break records or listen for some phat drums that are solo in a track then just steal em! lol

I a can email you a nice set of drums a mate of mine put together tho, pm me an adress