Changing up/down your BPM's - What techniques do you use?

BeatLeSS

IMO

if i got a track thats 128 and for example 130 wat il do is mix the 130bpm in at 128 and either raise the temo around each bar slowly or keep the second track @128 until the break where youu can speed it back up to 130

alternatively

you can wait for a break in the 128bpm track and raise it to the nexts track bpm but im pretty sure it would fuck with the key and flow of the music

bump the tempo but do it gradually and avoid sections where it'll be obvious. Strings are notorious for sounding all warbly if you move the pitch.

also beware of mixing a track too far from it's normal pitch +4 is about as far as I go and generally avoind even that. And if you are mixing harmonically, pitching to far changes the key, so not impossible but another thing to be aware of

Increase the pitch slightly between each mix until you get to the desired bpm. Just make slight changes to the record speed otherwise it sounds really obvious in the mix. Sticking with one bpm is a bit 'safe' imo. Altering the pitch during a set is another skill you need to learn if you want to become a well rounded Dj.

• 2 weeks later...

i sometimes cross genre a bit and what i'll do is slowely speed up one track throughout the song but slowley. if you have a BPM counter that shows you currently mixing 128.5 for example, i would start a few tracks before (maybe 3 or 4). so if my target is 132 BPM, you would see my counter go up by 0.2 BPM whenever it feels right to do so. if you go up by tiny amounts over a due course of time, the human ear wont notice on it.

i did the opposite at one stage to experiment something and went from mixing at 135 to 142 over 2 tracks. so the track i wanted to bring in at the faster tempo is 140 at 0% so brought that in at 135 and at the big break, brought it up to 138/140 straight away. even though there was a silence in the break that was kinda noticeable. didnt sound all that bad but id stick to changing the tempo slowely during a set

hope thats not too confusing lol