USB vs CDA vs MP3

Trennaa

Hi guys

Wanted to get some feedback on this.

I own 2x CDJ350's, so I have the ability to utilise USB/CD/MP3 cd..

Wanted to get some opinions on what people use, and why, and in what applications (live gigging - clubs, own equipment taking to private functions etc). Also pros and cons on using each media.

Im learning, so im learning to use CDA media, however I have seen a lot of ease in USB, also had some erroneous files on USB which causes the USB to stop working (format and re-copy mp3 fixes this, but i can understand frustration if this was a live experience).

Thanks

It depends what you feel comfortable with.

I use to play vinyl, then played CDs, and now I use USB's and Traktor.

I only use traktor if I'm playing more than 3hrs because it's so much easier to have that with me then a external HD - just my opinion. If I play less than 3hrs (usually around 2hrs max) I'll have USB's prepared from rekordbox. Reason for that is because I got over burning a tonne of CDs lol I still like flicking through a cd wallet, it has a similar feel to flicking through your record box but I just don't have time to commit to it anymore

If I had the CDj 350 ( or any new pioneer CDj )I would use Hid midi by dj software ( mixvibes cross ) and USB by rekordbox dj software...

Using cross you only need a USB cable from CDj to a laptop ....you use the CDj as a sound card ( not like serato or traktor where you need to use the serato or traktor hardware to make it work )

, you plug the CDj audio outputs to your mixer by RCA

Mixvibes make both cross and rekordbox so Thay are very similar in file management , play list ,wave form , cue points ....and the mp3 file you save in one software can be used in the other

I personally use USB with CDJ 850s at home. I Used to use CDs back when some clubs I played only had 1000s. Even then I'd burn CDs specifically for the night, as it wasn't that often I had to use them.

USB with rekordbox is much faster to prep, and allows for more freedom when mixing as you can have tunes organised in multiple ways. The only drawback with USB (on the cdj350s specifically) is the smaller screen compared to the 850/900/2000s, which might make it a pain to navigate than it's worth (personal opinion at the end of the day). I haven't personally used 350s to give a personal opinion on this, however others have said this to me.

If usb is too much of a pain to navigate on the small screen, I'd fall back to CDs.

IMO traktor/serato is too much of a pain for club use (if that's where you're aiming).

I've noticed it can be frustrating navigating on 350's if you have hundreds of files in one 'folder'/'directory' on USB, however, having it all alphabetically is a benefit.

I guess the plus side of CD wallet navigation is having the songs listed in front/on a CD so you know what you're playing.

I've also noticed a lag when you're selecting MP3 files from a USB, the navigation is quick enough, but selecting/loading/cueing the track can take a while.

This is more for pros and cons of the three mediums, what peoples preferences are and why etc.

So, I can use Rekordbox on 350's?

I've also noticed a lag when you're selecting MP3 files from a USB, the navigation is quick enough, but selecting/loading/cueing the track can take a while.

So, I can use Rekordbox on 350's?

Yes you can use rekordbox on the CDj 350......that's why your getting the lag with mp3...

Because your not using rekordbox........put all your mp3 into rekordbox , then set your cue,s and loop in the software ...will make your CDj 350 run a lot faster when playing of a USB drive

Oh wow. Never touched Rekordbox. I think I have the software on my laptop.

Question in that case - I use AutoCue atm on the decks, if I use Rekordbox, is that going to affect Autocue?

No it will not affect auto cue ..the track will jump to the first cue you set in rekordbox

In rekordbox there's a wave form to look at that will help you set your cue and loops along the track

Ive installed Rekordbox, im dumping about 300ish tracks on there now, and exporting onto two USB's as we speak. will be interesting to see how it goes:)

God damn it takes ages with rekordbox to analyse and export haha

That's cos it's doing it properly!

Once you see the time it saves you on the decks you'll be doing it this way forever.

Actually had a play around.. It's TOTALLY different on USB now, navigating it I guess.

Thanks for the pros/cons.

I can imagine thousands of tracks (including a number of hour long mixtapes i've downloaded from artists) would take overnight/two nights process

Actually had a play around.. It's TOTALLY different on USB now, navigating it I guess.

Thanks for the pros/cons.

I can imagine thousands of tracks (including a number of hour long mixtapes i've downloaded from artists) would take overnight/two nights process

Yeah, you probably wouldn't want the mixtapes going through RekordBox, I can't see any need for this as it's just play back. Unless you wanna cue point certain areas in the mix (but why would you do that?)

But once it's all done mate, it's all done. Just make sure when you go to do it you're not pressed for time, like in the middle of a party thinking fark yeah this folder of 1000+ songs would be good here.