Laptop+Speaker Feedback Issue

Jaz

Need some help troubleshooting.

If i have my Behringer Studio monitors plugged into my Sony Laptop while its plugged in on power i get this constant loud feedback, plugged in via rca to aux lead. Ive been dealing with it by listening/downloading music on battery and its perfect. but now my battery isnt lasting as long so i have to stop and let it charge up again.

It was and still is fine on my old toshiba laptop. so its something to do with the sony.

Any settings that may be causing this? ive read i may need a Ground isolator or something....

Help!

my first thought was ground isolator tbh.

i had similar problems some time ago when i had KRK monitors running through an Audio 2 plugged into my laptop.

The isolator worked.

I got a ART DTI Dual Transformer/Isolator for about $75 (i think). You can get something more basic but I liked the idea of it having XLR, 1/4" phone, and RCA type phono connections for whatever reasons might pop up in the future.

w6M088e.jpg?1

do your other laptops have a ground pin?

if not that will explain why they didnt have a problem.

there is an option to buy a third party travel laptop adaptor, i think targus and belkin do them, that dont have a ground pin. but at risk of your lappie.

but yeh ground isolator should be fine. i bought the behringer hum destroyer based on recommendation here and it works tops