What to purchase.

Ive wanted to be a pro dj for a long time. Since vinyl actually. Over the decades I have continued to collect vinyl and although I have a record player that I use at home I never purchased turntables for mixing. I watched the technology changing so rapidly that I felt almost paralysed about which way to go and I ended up going no way at all although I had a few gigs at sydney clubs here and there but nothing major. I can count them on one hand.

So anyway I still have my dream all these years later but Im still confused which is the best way to go. It all changes so fast. How on earth do you keep up. It seems like it changes so fast that by the time you learn one thing its obsolete already.

What are people using now? What are the clubs mainly using and are they moving towards computers? Last time I went to a club about 5 years ago they seemed to still be using CD.

I dont want to learn on something that I will not be using if I gain employment.

while there may be preferences at certain bars clubs (be it cd's or turnies), i have yet to see one that only had one option. i.e. doesnt matter man do what you feel is good. sometimes the turntables are shoved on the floor (yeh you dj at argyle) or used as a spinning cd rack or in the janitors cupboard, but if you ask it will be somewhere

Some people use these but typically:

-ableton: dj would bring their own laptop/soundcard/controllers and run an output from their gear into a channel on the club mixer.

-serato/traktor: dj brings their own sound card + laptop and connects/disconnects it over 2 transitions

Most djs just bring usbs/CDs and headphones

Some people use these but typically:

-ableton: dj would bring their own laptop/soundcard/controllers and run an output from their gear into a channel on the club mixer.

-serato/traktor: dj brings their own sound card + laptop and connects/disconnects it over 2 transitions

Most djs just bring usbs/CDs and headphones

So sounds like I should get CD players then and start practising on those.

ummm still confused mayne. as above most places will have turnies. if you comfortable with that stick to that.

I'm not actually comfortable with anything as I'm very inexperienced so just basically deciding the best option to learn. Records are too Heavy to lug around and I cannot afford to purchase CDs and turntables.