How to mix in mono?

Narukami

Sup all,

So for a while I've always read that you should check your mixes in mono because "when they sound good in mono, they'll sound even better in stereo". I've always ignored that advice because who listens to music in mono these days, right? Then I was bored one day and I decided to check out some songs on my iPod in mono, because there's sorta just like an accessibility feature. I listened to some songs and it sounded fucking awesome in mono. Then I check out my songs and sounded fucking terrible in mono. So now I wanna start checking my songs in mono but I don't know how to start.

There's stuff like eq, volume, stuff like that but the main issue for me right now is the phasing. How do I fix that awful, awful phasing?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thaaaanks <3 :thumleft:

I'm not one to give advice on how to mix & master as I'm not that great at it myself, however I have heard that theory about mixing in mono. Having your songs sound dope in mono IS very relevant & important, as most club/large PA systems run in mono.

I'm not much help, but thought i'd explain the 'why' part of it. Hopefully Tomy or one of the other production guru's see this and can help with your technique :thumleft:

i've done some stuff in mono but not a lot. basically what i do is get all my EQing and stuff all done and then hear those parts n mono. if there's something clashing i'll revert to stereo and have another fiddle until it all fits in. it's not really something i do a lot of which is why i'm assuming i'm not that helpful at the moment but that's what i get from it. it seems easier to hear if things are out of phase

What are you using to produce your tracks?

if it's ableton then you just stick a utility tool on the master ad reduce the track width setting to 0%

if it's Logic then there's a button on each channel strip that allows you change between stereo and mono. Its also on the master channel