Quality Audio Cables

BeatLeSS

It's time to stop beating around the bush and get onto ensuring all my audio equipment is top freaking notch. I can't be toting about using the best quality audio files if my cables are letting the signal down. I'm going to double up on everything and various lengths to ensure I don't need to buy again.

I need to start building up a kit of cables that are going to produce the best quality sound. Is there a site/brand that anyone here recommends religiously?

Is there anyone/anywhere that makes them to spec, i.e specific length? That'd be done for the studio setup.

It's time to stop beating around the bush and get onto ensuring all my audio equipment is top freaking notch. I can't be toting about using the best quality audio files if my cables are letting the signal down. I'm going to double up on everything and various lengths to ensure I don't need to buy again.

I need to start building up a kit of cables that are going to produce the best quality sound. Is there a site/brand that anyone here recommends religiously?

Is there anyone/anywhere that makes them to spec, i.e specific length? That'd be done for the studio setup.

Making your own cables is pretty easy. You can find everything you need at Jaycar. Quality cables are only required for anything analogue. Even then you don't exactly have to go too overboard. Anything digital it will make no difference.

RCA, 3.5mm, 6.5mm, etc are all analogue and all required in terms of DJ'ing and Live Performance.

I'd rather not make my own cables when I'm playing on anywhere upwards of 20,000watts of stereo (this is usually the smallest system I get my hands on). It's time to think of this professionally, I am only going to go further. In terms of doing this myself for my studio, I'd rather not gamble my hard earned cash on dodgily self-made cables either.

I hear the difference between shitty cables. I have two cheap cables side by side and can tell the difference between these two. I want the best quality, this is not a debate. That being said, I'm not interested in wank factor "I spent $X on this brand of cables because " I'm interested in the science behind it and why someone would recommend those cables.

Durability/Rigidity is also a factor of concern. These cables are gonna cop a lot of abuse travelling, being plugged in and out of shit all the time. Something else to consider.

I wasn't debating anything.. You can actually make your own cables and guarantee they are good quality. Easiest & cheapest way to guarantee.

If you're not keen/confident on making your own, I can't really recommend any specific brands.

Just look for cables that have the following:

-good shielding. Braided shield is generally stronger

-quality soldering, and quality, tidy heat shrink at the end of the cables

-shorter the cable, the less potential interference

-use the right cable for the job. Use xlr/trs where appropriate for a balanced signal. Use ts for unbalanced. RCA is fine going from decks -> mixer, but not anything long distance

-gold plaited connectors and oxygen free are more of a gimmick than an increase in sound quality. Gold plaited will also wear off quicker (still lasts quite some time) if you're unplugging/plugging cables in all the time

-replace the cables when they get damaged. Most of the time the damage is around the connector, so you can just replace the ends.

This is as much as I can help. It's more about the characteristics than the brand.

I'd rather not make my own cables when I'm playing on anywhere upwards of 20,000watts of stereo (this is usually the smallest system I get my hands on).

You don't have to worry about that bit of wiring. The stuff you are concerned about has fuck all amperage going through it. Only concern is quality connections. And about 5 minutes worth of youtube tutorials should have you soldering like a champ.

Back in my car stereo days I know of some companies that made custom cables. Pretty spendy though from memory.