Microphone/Recorder - Field Recording/Sampling Sound

BeatLeSS

Yo Guys!

Started looking at field recorders to get my unique edge on.. I've been wanting to record my daughters randomness for ages + have something I can take with me to get my own random sounds to mess around with. I would also like it to double back as my one stop sampling device including vocals. Being able to set it up at home with condenser mics being input would be great and a lot of devices seem to have XLR + Phantom power.

Every review site I'm reading is giving the Zoom h4n a good wrap for it's price point (~$300). I'm curious if anyone has any expertise in this field and can provide some insight? Perhaps someone here is doing a similar thing..

I'm happy with spending a bit of money on a device that's going to suit and grow with me.

I've used a zoom h4n several times and rate it.

It's a bit hefty for a 'handheld' device, might not be easy to carry around.

But it does come with a plastic hard case to protect it so can leave it in a bag.

If you've ever heard my interviews and shit for uni, 9 times out of 10 it was on a h4n.

I have a tascam dr-40. I rate it.

1543_dr40-front.jpg

Not sure if the h4n supports line in on the TRS inputs, but for the tascam I have TS -> RCA adapters and use the dr-40 for recording DJ sets, as well as being able to use it for mic in, also the built in mics for field recordings. Preamps aren't that awesome on either device, but still good for portables. you can also get an AC adapter for the dr-40 and run it off power if for example you wanted to record a long time (e.g. open -> close for a club night).