Beginner question, Jukebox - DJ

Hey guys, JohnnHotPockets here

I wasn't sure how to word the title so ill just jump into it. 

So, a few years ago we stopped going out clubbing and started having parties at home, so I bought 2x Behringer B115D's and a Redback A2554 mixer (just basically so we can have a couple of inputs and quickly change them).

This is all well and good and I was happy just doing this. Then my mate told his mum I would use my equipment to do music for her 50th, which was ok because it was a family event and they were happy with me playing what ever music they wanted. 

Then they referred me to their friend and they wanted me to do a wedding. 

They all refer to me as a DJ which I insist im not, im just a jukebox because I don't mix, just cross-fade and play the music they tell me prior to the event. 

this same person has referred me to do another wedding and while the people I have done music for previously are happy with it, cross-fading music just seems extremely amateur and it kinda bugs me. Especially when they insist of paying me to do so. 

I would like to upgrade and get away from the mixer that I have and get something a bit more professional. 

My question is a 2 part question.

1. Is it possible to beat mix non EDM i.e. rock, classic rock etc? 
  2. I have always wanted to learn to properly mix and invest in some proper equipment, but for the meantime is there a mixer or software that will allow automatic cross-fading from different inputs with the ability to cue music?

I apologise for the amateur questions.

As I said everyone thinks it sounds good but I like to do things great, not good. 

thank you in advance for any responses. 

JHP 

I understand what you mean here, I would say to not take the wedding gig when you're not totally committed to it and confident in your abilities. Getting pushed into doing a gig for friends of friends who probably just want to save money on a proper DJ with equipment isn't a good way to start out IMO. If you do go ahead and take it, you need to make sure they know they're getting someone who's just started out mixing, and that you know that people might still give you shit even if you're putting in 100% effort.

To answer your questions, yes it is possible to beat mix anything - the problem is that because actual people are drumming and not a drum machine, the BPM will change throughout the song which makes it quite difficult. This video should explain a bit:

For your second question, I believe Virtual DJ has an automatic crossfade that you can adjust. Maybe if you could rig it up so that input 1 (like a CDJ, or a turntable, or anything) goes into channel A on the mixer, then channel A output goes to an input on a soundcard which Virtual DJ could use? And repeat the process for the 2nd channel. This would give you the ability to still use the EQs on the mixer and the volume faders, and if you wanted to crossfade using the mixer you'd just set the virtual crossfader in the middle. Of course, that's assuming that that sort of setup would even work - it's been a while since I've used VDJ.

Yeah, I don't think I will do any more that aren't family until I have more skill and experience. Like I said, I have been told that everyone likes it but I can tell its not perfect and it bugs me.

Ill, have a search around on the forums here but can you suggest any beginner decks that are good for learning?  I really enjoy it and would love to learn to mix. 

Thanks for the reply :)

When you say songs requested, you mean people say "hey play this tune" or they're coming up to you with their phone and saying "hey play this song on my phone"? Either way, in that sort of budget you're gonna be looking at used CDJs - 350s if you want to be able to use USBs, 800s/1000s if you're okay without. I would definitely go with the CDJ 350s though, even if the older gear is better quality it'd be a huge pain to not be able to just use USBs in 2016. Alternatively, if you're okay with using a laptop + controller (which IMO is the better solution for a mobile DJ), there's a lot more variety and you can get some very good gear. Traktor S2 or S4 mk2, most of pioneer's low-mid range stuff. If you go used there, there's a lot of really good deals to be had

yeah so, the person who wants me to play says "this is the list of artists, genres and songs i want you to play throughout the night" and then during the night i might get people asking me to play this song (off my equipment). so normally i have a laptop and an ipod plugged into my mixer and i bounce between the 2 manually cross fading.

Thanks for the info, ill check out some of the things that you suggested :) 

Since you're mostly gonna do private functions, personally I'd recommend a laptop + controller setup. Scottie already recommended some good cheap controllers, so check those out. The reason why controller set up is better is because it's easier to carry and set up compared to CDJs. I have the CDJ 350s. I have a gig on the 23rd but it's far away and I have no transport. AND I have to haul around semi heavy gear. It's a pain, haha. 

As for beatmatching, of course you can beatmatch anything but it's not really super important for private gigs. What's more important is being able to read your crowd and seeing what they might like and dislike. I recommend asking your host for a tracklist before hand and then look for music with that kind of sound. 

Welcome to the forums and good luck in the future :)

i know you already said you wouldnt do the wedding, but that was a good choice. for anything that is meant to be memorable, like a wedding, music is too critical.

for a non-descript bday party of fam & friends, or a get together of fam & friends, i reckon go for it.

when we were young, hiring dj equip and everyone bringing their records to the party and everyone having a go at running the music was the norm.

and if the crowd called rewind five times in the row, you would let that same song play five times. ahhh technotronic move this :) 

hehe it was some club mix though

thank you for the info guy :) they have msged me and im yet to call them back (only got the msg late at night) the last wedding i did was extremely laid back, thats why i did it. i think i will have a chat and see what she is after. The last wedding i did wasn't bad, for the people going. it was just i could tell the little subtle details. But I do agree, I don't want to be the reason they may not be happy with the night. 

Thanks again :) really appreciate the advice. 

I may be a newcomer here but I'm going to disagree with other people who have posted on here.

People like what you do but you dont as you feel like a jukebox, not a DJ. My friend thats what a wedding DJ is to a large extent. People dont know what a DJ should be doing. All they know is the DJ spins a track and music comes out. Theyre not expecting sick electro drops and mad in key mixing. Theyre expecting Bon Jovi and Nutbush City Limits. Its up to you to get creative with that.

My recommendation ... if your music library is well stocked enough and you know what music people may like, take the dive. Explain who you are to the couple. Let them know what theyre getting and ask what they'd like to hear. Discuss an appropriate upfront rate and use some of that to fatten your track library. I'd think $50 an hour is reasonable. Set a budget for downloading new tracks, or if your gear works with Spotify just pay for a subscription to that. The laptop idea was good - If you have phone tethering, use that to download any music you may need on the night on the go. Ensure your speakers are big enough to handle the venue. Rob and steal to acquire extension leads. And recruit a friend to help as a roadie if needed.

You may think youre unworthy. You havent seen their overpriced alternative. Ive DJ'd a few weddings before. Theyre great fun and a top way to hone your craft.

To the more experienced DJs here telling him to steer clear ... what the hell??

If someone wants a new DJ at their wedding, let them. Weddings are expensive and not everyone can afford someone with a deluxe Pioneer rig and a 1TB library. You get what you pay for.

This was a prime opportunity for a young DJ to broaden his horizons and you talked him out of it rather than helping him to prepare for it. Shame shame shame. You could have been mentors, but instead you were naysayers.