It's Only Natural - bristles

Bristles

Nice vibes with this one, I like it.

Just a suggestion on levels seems like you may of pushed hard and it's coming through with a bit of distortion (thats maybe what your going for?) also the bass seems a little muffled. Maybe bounce the bass down to 3 tracks, hi,mid and lo and eq to bring out that mid range bass sound. Then bounce all 3 tracks back to one again.

3 hours ago, tafoz said:

Just a suggestion on levels seems like you may of pushed hard and it's coming through with a bit of distortion (thats maybe what your going for?) also the bass seems a little muffled. Maybe bounce the bass down to 3 tracks, hi,mid and lo and eq to bring out that mid range bass sound. Then bounce all 3 tracks back to one again.

You can do this super simple in ableton! I'm sure it would be fairly similar in other DAWs too:

Drop an audio effect rack onto the track. Drag 3 x EQ three into the audio effect rack. Rename them low / mid / high. Then on each one, kill the respective EQs (for low, kill mid and high, etc.). Then you can add fx down the chain that only apply to the low/mid/high, as well as adjusting the volume, panning, etc... once you've done this once, save it as a template to make it super quick as you'll end up using it all the time :) 

cCkhg2X.jpg 

3 hours ago, Mitch said:

You can do this super simple in ableton! I'm sure it would be fairly similar in other DAWs too:

Drop an audio effect rack onto the track. Drag 3 x EQ three into the audio effect rack. Rename them low / mid / high. Then on each one, kill the respective EQs (for low, kill mid and high, etc.). Then you can add fx down the chain that only apply to the low/mid/high, as well as adjusting the volume, panning, etc... once you've done this once, save it as a template to make it super quick as you'll end up using it all the time :) 

cCkhg2X.jpg 

Mmmman thank you! such a good tip.. I was struggling with exactly that, the low of the bass was just a bit heavy and I couldn't get that mid to push through enough. I thought I was over thinking it and gave up.. so I can pull down the low a bit and push the mid/high or whatever more directly than trying to eq it like on eq eight for example?

sorry not sure that made sense...

6 hours ago, tafoz said:

Thanks man awesome feedback, really appreciate it. Yeah I didn't originally want the distorted sound but ended up leaving it for effect.. not sure if it was a good/bad call but it is what it is!

7 minutes ago, Bristles said:

Mmmman thank you! such a good tip.. I was struggling with exactly that, the low of the bass was just a bit heavy and I couldn't get that mid to push through enough. I thought I was over thinking it and gave up.. so I can pull down the low a bit and push the mid/high or whatever more directly than trying to eq it like on eq eight for example?

sorry not sure that made sense...

Thanks man awesome feedback, really appreciate it. Yeah I didn't originally want the distorted sound but ended up leaving it for effect.. not sure if it was a good/bad call but it is what it is!

Yeah exactly, you can do whatever you want. Maybe some light compression and a simple fx chain (to your liking, reverb or distortion maybe?) on the mid and tweaking the volumes on each component? I find doing some things this way easier/better than fiddling with an EQ8 forever, and you don't have to bounce anything out into separate tracks. You can also obviously solo out each component when tweaking to get a better idea of what you're doing.

Just now, Mitch said:

Yeah exactly, you can do whatever you want. Maybe some light compression and a simple fx chain (to your liking, reverb or distortion maybe?) on the mid and tweaking the volumes on each component? I find doing some things this way easier/better than fiddling with an EQ8 forever, and you don't have to bounce anything out into separate tracks. You can also obviously solo out each component when tweaking to get a better idea of what you're doing.

Right that's awesome, I have barely done anything with the rack before.. never really understood why I would need it over just throwing the effects on the track anyway. I'll give this a go next time I'm mixing, it will be super handy to get a more specific control on each sound... thanks +1 +1