Phoenix - 1901 (bristles remix)

Bristles

only spamming if you drop and run mate lol

i like it. the kick is at a nicer level in comparison to the last track i heard. i reckon it could still be a bit louder so as the bass comes in it doesn't get washed away by it but it's better than the last track. 
it's got a cool vibe and i kinda like the fact there's just a bass line as a "drop" but if you're gonna do that try experimenting with some other interesting bits to throw in the background of it so it give those sections a bit more movement. never the less, still some good work my friend :)  

On 24/03/2017 at 6:26 AM, LabRat said:

i like it. the kick is at a nicer level in comparison to the last track i heard. i reckon it could still be a bit louder so as the bass comes in it doesn't get washed away by it but it's better than the last track. 
it's got a cool vibe and i kinda like the fact there's just a bass line as a "drop" but if you're gonna do that try experimenting with some other interesting bits to throw in the background of it so it give those sections a bit more movement. never the less, still some good work my friend :)  

Bloody kicks are my biggest issue I reckon.. Thanks for the feedback Cupe, appreciate it man. 

4 hours ago, Cupe said:

:scratch:

ow wow.. how did I misread that?

On ‎24‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 6:26 AM, LabRat said:

I mean thanks again Lab haha.

On ‎24‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 6:26 AM, LabRat said:

How do you go about judging each elements volume and punch? is it more experience, a method you follow or do you use reference tracks? You're tracks sound so balanced, and I'm always struggling to blend everything together..

20 minutes ago, Bristles said:

How do you go about judging each elements volume and punch? is it more experience, a method you follow or do you use reference tracks? You're tracks sound so balanced, and I'm always struggling to blend everything together..

umm... referencing tracks is always good but there are a few different ways you can get the kick to punch through (as an example). So if we're talking about the kick, you can side chain the bass elements to the kick so the bass sounds "duck" to give the kick more space.

Layering the kick is helpful too. in it's simplest form, 1 sample can be the main body of the kick where all the thump is and then the top layer can be a click which will be the snappy part of it. 

EQing and compression are always key in separating the elements. Kick wise, it's good to roll off around 40hz. compression is good to control the volume of the kick and you can always get a good snap of the transient out of it. 

with everything though it just takes time and practise. just keep playing around with different things and see what works best for you in that project. adjusting the volume does help to haha but just keep the eq and compression in check if you do 

1 hour ago, LabRat said:

umm... referencing tracks is always good but there are a few different ways you can get the kick to punch through (as an example). So if we're talking about the kick, you can side chain the bass elements to the kick so the bass sounds "duck" to give the kick more space.

Layering the kick is helpful too. in it's simplest form, 1 sample can be the main body of the kick where all the thump is and then the top layer can be a click which will be the snappy part of it. 

EQing and compression are always key in separating the elements. Kick wise, it's good to roll off around 40hz. compression is good to control the volume of the kick and you can always get a good snap of the transient out of it. 

with everything though it just takes time and practise. just keep playing around with different things and see what works best for you in that project. adjusting the volume does help to haha but just keep the eq and compression in check if you do 

Sweet thanks man, will play around with these ideas. especially layering, I think I've been trying to get 1 sound to do too many things..

When's the next LabRat banger coming out??

2 hours ago, Bristles said:

Sweet thanks man, will play around with these ideas. especially layering, I think I've been trying to get 1 sound to do too many things..

When's the next LabRat banger coming out??

if the sample is good enough you can definitely get the sound out of it but you'll only know once it's in your project. 

as for the next banger, probably around May lol. i finished my EP so next for that is all the artwork and i'm gonna shoot a music video for one of the tracks with my uncle, which should be good fun. now i'm trying to get my head back in the "bangers" game so i've got a few tracks on the go at the moment, i just need to finish the bastards haha i'm playing a festival in May so i'm gonna work hard to get some tunes done for then and then i'll release them one by one soon after that. i don't have a day job anymore which is shit but kinda good for now coz i can focus on getting some tunes done for it

4 hours ago, LabRat said:

if the sample is good enough you can definitely get the sound out of it but you'll only know once it's in your project. 

as for the next banger, probably around May lol. i finished my EP so next for that is all the artwork and i'm gonna shoot a music video for one of the tracks with my uncle, which should be good fun. now i'm trying to get my head back in the "bangers" game so i've got a few tracks on the go at the moment, i just need to finish the bastards haha i'm playing a festival in May so i'm gonna work hard to get some tunes done for then and then i'll release them one by one soon after that. i don't have a day job anymore which is shit but kinda good for now coz i can focus on getting some tunes done for it

Shit yeah, what style is the EP? Finishing a full EP with a proper release is a goal of mine this year hay, good work man..

Yeah WA is bad apparently hay, I've been lucky getting work up in the Pilbara but a few friends are struggling with work too.

What festival you playing man? might be down Perth way in May/June, would be sweet to hear your set

12 hours ago, Bristles said:

Shit yeah, what style is the EP? Finishing a full EP with a proper release is a goal of mine this year hay, good work man..

Yeah WA is bad apparently hay, I've been lucky getting work up in the Pilbara but a few friends are struggling with work too.

What festival you playing man? might be down Perth way in May/June, would be sweet to hear your set

From what I've seen it's a bit interesting here. I say that because there's people who cry out that they have no work, and in particular industries I agree, but there's still a lot of work out there and I think people are getting a bit lazy... In my field of work (signage and vinyl application) there's a lot of work. The guys I work with just can't figure out how to get it, and they're spanners so they couldn't catch a cold if they tried. 

But back to the tunes lol my Ep is like experimental hip hop / electronic. Not sure when I'll release that yet. 

The festival is a video teaser for nyd. I'll get the deets and pm them to ya. If you're interested I'll see if I can get my mate to get you in :)