New Here, Mixer Help

Dvious34

Hey all, i have been looking into DJing for months now, and i havent rushed into buying anything at the moment, because 1. im not sure what i need, and i dont have HUGE amounts for buying anything either...

I have some questions, i just want to get into mixing beats from both PC in MP3 format and of CD's if i get to that stage, im assuming for now all i will need is a mixer to get me started? What am i looking at, will something like a Pio DJM400 be enough for now or do i need the CD decks to make it work?

Any help would be awesome, but as i said, i just want something nice to get me going... Budget is around 700 max give or take..

If you want to use the djm 400, you will need cdjs. If price is a concern, the best bet will be to go with a software controller such as the Numark total control, which can control software on your computer and play mp3s. If you want a cheap option for cdjs, look for a pair of cdj 100's they are pretty basic, but a good unit to learn on.

You can do it with the 400, but it wouldn't be midi mapped and you will need a decent sound card, stereo out from your computer into left and right channels on your mixer, then too speakers or back into your soundcard, im not too sure on the detail because I havent done it myself, but Im sure there is a youtube vid or something

Ok ive been doing more research, and im looking at starting with two CDJ100's and a DJM400 for the mixer...

Should this be a nice little unit to get me started, it seems the DJM400 is very nice, so even in the future i might only need to upgrade the CDJ's...

I dont have a laptop so for parties etc il have to burn all my stuff to CD which is perfect for this setup, BUT, for a home setup with my current PC, can this type of system work.... if not il be burning everything!

Last question, does the CDJ's and DJM's come with everything i need to get me started, e.g cables etc etc...

Well i have Traktor atm, just been playing around with that for a while now, im pretty sold on the DJM400 or the Xone22 and il make my decision very shortly, so ive got my mixer worked out..

Until i work out what CDJ's im after, can i use the mixer with Traktor for the time being? Just to play around with, or does it only work with CDJ's... i think i saw a youtube video with someone using the Mixer with Traktor...

Yeah for now i think this will be the best method, because a cousins cousin i remember followed a similar approach, he had a mixer connected to his laptop and played them through some computer speakers, what sorta sound card should i be looking at?

And what does timecode mean!

oh lol, i didn't read enough of the thread

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinyl_emulation_software

Vinyl emulation software allows the user to physically manipulate the playback of digital audio files on a computer using the turntables as an interface, thus preserving the hands-on 'feel' of deejaying with vinyl while allowing playback of audio recordings not available in phonograph form. This allows DJs to scratch, beatmatch, and perform other turntablism that would be impossible with a conventional keyboard-and-mouse computer interface.