How to add digital capability to predominately vinyl set-up

vyvafc

Hi all

Hope this is the right forum - it's not really 'Tips and Tricks' so came here. Would be interested to hear peoples' thoughts and ideas.

I’m an old(er) bloke who likes to play/mix Brazilian, latin, African. World, jazz, etc. I have a decent vinyl collection but also have a lot of tracks on CD and mp3 (some of which I'll never find on vinyl). Home set-up only, live broadcasts etc. Not scratching/producing, and audio quality definitely a bigger priority than bells and whistles.

I’ve got two turntables. I’m looking at my options for adding the capacity to mix/play CDs/mp3 with the vinyl, and need some pointers as to suitable methods/mixers/set-ups.

Option 1: CDJs
Pro - straightforward. Can play both CD and mp3. Just plug in to line in.
Cons - more clutter/extra space. New ones are bloody expensive, probably with way more features than I need. 2nd hand might be an option.
Option 2: DVS
I've researched using DVS as a system, but I absolutely want to be able to seamlessly + immediately switch from 'real' vinyl to timecode vinyl (i.e. mix one with the other; use both decks for both etc). I'm interested in the A&H Xone23c but it seems once the internal mod is done to enable DVS you can't switch to (real) vinyl? Are there equivalent mixers that can switch easily? Or another A&H? Only need 2 channels, btw.
Option 3: DJ controller w/ phono inputs
Pro - convenient, tidy
Con - lose that lovely analogue A&H sound; most of them look awful

Another option is to play straight from a laptop (ie to analogue mixer w/ soundcard), but I really don't want to do that

Any pointers or other options/solutions would be welcome. Apologies if I’m missing something obvious - like I said, mainly a vinyl user (and old lol).

Cheers

Welcome! You’re definitely in the right place. You can switch easily between real and timecode vinyl easily enough with the DVS setup and also retain your existing analog mixer. For example, the Traktor audio 6 allows you to plug your turntables into it. It then outputs to both the phono and line inputs on the channel of your mixer. You just flick between phono & line inputs on the mixer depending on whether you’re in DVS or normal mode. I’ll find a video / some pics when I’m on my pc later. 

This video shows how the cables connect. Basically all you need is a Traktor Audio 6 which comes with those multi-core cables. It allows you to run the turntables in either direct thru (vinyl mode) or DVS mode just by changing between the phono and line input on the mixer channel. It all hooks in with existing equipment so you get to keep your A&H and route it through the Traktor box. One of the main benefits of the Traktor setup with the multi-core cables and powered box is you can listen to vinyl without the laptop plugged in if you don't want to do DVS stuff at that time. Can buy online or in store from Store DJ, or direct from Native Instruments.

Lemme know if you got any q's :thumright:

P.S. make sure your laptop meets the recommended specs for DVS mode

Edit: Just realised they don't sell those multicore cables anymore :( but you can effectively do the same thing with an RCA Y splitter.

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm still going with this - mainly cos I've been head-down flat-out these past few weeks and haven't had headspace to move it on.
I really appreciate the info and ideas people have posted - many thanks.
But is there one more <interim> option I could consider? I have a DDJ400 controller (did a few community gigs with it before getting back in to vinyl): it has a 'master out', can I not just use that as a media player, putting it through the 'line in' of a Xone 23? This is just to play digital tracks.
Bit bench-space-hungry, not ideal long-term ... but would it work?

So: two turntables, analogue mixer, DJ controller, laptop. For switching between vinyl and digital. Turntables into phono inputs: controller in to line. Controller fed by laptop (I use Rekordbox)

I see pros as:
- I've already got it
- with DVS I'm going to be fiddling with the laptop anyway, and the DDJ has track selection function 
- I can completely control the switching between digital and vinyl on the mixer itself, not having to engage 'thru' mode on Traktor (for eg)

Cons
- not sure really - I assume there are some
- maybe there's a blindingly obvious reason it can't work i've missed because i've not thought it through?!

Cheers

As you’ve already mentioned, the DVS setup naturally proves a tidier platform, but what you’ve mentioned will definitely work in the interim. You’ve already outlined most of the pros/cons. Main con is you have two mixers effectively, so when mixing you just need to be tuned to the fact that you’ve got volume control in multiple areas:

- DDJ channel gain & faders

- DDJ master

- A&H channel gain & faders

- A&H master

• 1 year later...