Hi, beyond my dream…

Themrmarty

Hi all, whilst I’ve always wanted to learn to dj, being 40 now and a full time truckie I thinks it’s a little beyond me. I have however been able to pass my love and passion onto my 12yo daughter whom I have just brought a ddj400 for her 12th birthday. I’m now just looking at ways I can help her to learn all about music and mixing. Hopefully finding some ways that will be helpful to her being so young. 
cheers, Marty. 

9147DA12-573C-4439-86D9-3C636A625358.jpeg

Welcome Marty!

There's plenty of knowledge around here and some helpful characters to go with it. My personal recommendation would be to learn how music is structured. Majority of music is written in a 4/4 time signature, which means 4 beats over 1 bar. It's the most common time signature to write in, especially for pop music and dance music. songs are usually structured in bars of 8 and 16. It all sounds a bit complicated but it's quite easy. 

Have a look at this video to get started. It's about song writing but this structure will help your daughter understand how music is written and, when it comes to mixing, when to transition from one song to another. If she's into dance music, it's quite similar but most DJ's will have extended versions of their intros and outros which are usually 16 - 32 bars long at either end. Once she starts listening out for this structure she'll pick it up across all forms of music. 

Any questions don't hesitate to ask :) 

Welcome to the forum :thumleft: DDJ 400 is a great starting unit.

Agree with everything @LabRat said - knowing how songs are structured is a big help to build a natural instinct of when to mix in/out of tracks. Plenty of existing content in the beginner section of the forum. Happy to answer any questions that may pop up too.

P.S. Never too old to learn with her :).

• 9 months later...
On 31/10/2021 at 7:11 PM, Themrmarty said:

Hi all, whilst I’ve always wanted to learn to dj, being 40 now and a full time truckie I thinks it’s a little beyond me. I have however been able to pass my love and passion onto my 12yo daughter whom I have just brought a ddj400 for her 12th birthday. I’m now just looking at ways I can help her to learn all about music and mixing. Hopefully finding some ways that will be helpful to her being so young. 
cheers, Marty. 

Hi, welcome to the forum and good luck with that.