Burning songs to disc...WAV? MP3 320Kpbs? etc

• 3 weeks later...

hey there regarding sound quality ive noticed that when i play mp3 320kbs from say beatport when i record the mix it seems much better ? whats that about ( any ideas would be great :)) ive got a xone dx ,it coverts the tunes to wma files when you record. the sound is great and im not complaining one bit but it just seems a better polish to the tune! im only a newbie to this dj lark so any advice would be cool, thnxs

audio assault

Ok I did a Scientific test about 1998 at the UWA in Perth, about sound and what not

what we did was get all mediums (including mp3's)

thats where it wasnt used as much

I can still see my old mp3's from back then

we used the Following:

Reel to Reel

8Track

Cassette (tapes)

7" Vinyl / 12" Vinyl

Wav / MP3 (only using media player at the time and or winamp v1)

ok what we did was

over a period of 5x weeks

we played songs from different mediums and tested what sounded better in a club

now when things are played one of us would be in with the crowed listening and having meters and sount testing gear setup in different areas of the club

we actually couldnt tell what medium was being used (except vinyl if it was slightly scratched)

which is what is expected when you using loads of vinyl

now even I was surprised that CDs didnt really sound as good as Vinyl did....

the wav/mp3's well did ok but we couldnt tell if it was an mp3 or reel to reel or even a (metal) cassette

so there U go at home yes you should use the best there is at the highest quality

but as it goes when your at a show thats VERY LOUD AND YOU CANT THINK WHAT YOUR PLAYING (opps sorry shouting) then they wouldnt have any clue what medium or quality you are using

hope that helps

just outa curiosity... what if u burn ur records to ur harddrive with a vinyl converter or wateva? im guessin heaps of the quality would get lost or?

I doubt your ears will notice much loss in quality if you keep the recording uncompressed.

44.1kHz is a commonly used sample rate when converting vinyl. Some would argue that a 96 kHz recording would make it easier for software to detect and remove the clicks and pops. I'm not sure if this has been proven to yield considerably better results than with 44.1kHz recordings though.

A 16 bit depth will allow a 96 db dynamic range, and you wont find much vinyl that supports higher than 80 db.

So I would suggest trying 16/44.1 and see how it sounds. You may notice the "warmth" of vinyl has disappeared but you shouldn't notice any added distortion or clipping.