Maschine - why is it good?

Tomy

OK so been talking to my room mate / fellow DJ about this a bit, he's just bought a maschine. so we were talking about it a lot in the lead up to him buying it etc.

I've looked at the maschine before and just didn't get it. here's my problem.

1. no direct audio output.

- why? who knows i could think of a million reasons to have a direct audio output. it just doesn't make sense.

2. samples run from the computer

- i thought the whole idea of maschine was it ran the samples from the unit itself thus free up a whole heap of power and making it trigger perfectly.

so basically to me its looking like its just a midi controller with its own program. so why not just use Ableton live and a launch pad or akai pads or something??

some one please enlighten me

hey tomy.

ive always assumed maschine was for producing. shyte loads of hip hop producers have moved from their Akai MPC's to Maschine.

The MPC is probably what you are thinking of having the samples saved on board. this is where the samples are saved on a memory card (or very small on board). this is what a lot of producers used in the past by recording a song, then cutting it up into the pads, and then creating the hip hop beat. and you could play a bar and set loop so that you could play the kicks and snare, then add the melody etc. this is what kanye is doing on that mtv performance. dr dre is also known to use MPC's. but rather than sample records he gets session musicians o play and he would put all the sounds into his MPC's (or multiple MPC's) and create the tunes. couldnt find one with dre but here kanye from 2004 creating a track. you can see he starts from a track which he samples. then uses a synth/ keyboard to tweak samples and recording it into his MPC. which he will then use to build the track by banging out, looping and sequencing. MPC is at about 2.00 but interesting to see how hip hop and RnB tracks are made.

Kanye West makin' an ill track

Uploaded by SaleSud. - Watch more music videos, in HD!

now the maschine pretty much does the exact same thang but with a computer. now i know all the haters oh here we go again with computers taking over. but sorry to burst your bubble but the MPC was nothing but a computer with a dedicated purpose. it had a processor, it has memory etc. nothing analogue about it. the advantage of maschine. you have access to heaps more samples as opposed to the MPC you had to save it on card. also i am assuming it can also have more layers and more sequences as your memory is only withheld by your computer and hard drives. also i think (not 100% there are more effects on maschine).

now you and your mate prob already seen these vids on the NI website, but i came across them when i was looking at getting software for my Akai MPD24 (which is nothing but a Midi controller to look like the MPC). but here is No ID using Maschine to mke that Jay Z song Death to Autotune.

here is another vid, which i had no idea maschine could do which i think is a massive advantage over my Akai MPD24, is that the head up dispaly can show everything you need. hence other than looking at the computer to load your samples into the banks. you can then use just the maschine just like an MPC and not need to look at or touch the computer

and here is someone playing live with maschine which i assume has all the samples loaded to the banks (but yes it still needs a computer)

ha ha. as i said its only coinky dink that tomy would ask, as i was already looking at MPC's and stuff when looking for what i can do with my MPD (which if anyone is wondering i will likely go MPD and Fruity Loops, but thats months away!!).

anywho.i loaded the wrong clip. i loaded the one with someone playing live. anywho OP edited

good info in that one. making me think its pretty good now.

controlling effects form unit

a swing nob, genius.

can run as a vst inside a DAW

this guy isn't really the best at using it but give you an over view i guess. still very hip hop in my opion and i'm not sure how i would go about using it live just yet.