I got offered these speakers. (Need advice)

dezza1994

I got offered this speaker set and amp for $350. Seems irrisitable. Great deal?

This will be my first serious DJ set. Let me know what use think. I want to hook it up to a BCD3000. I will upgrade the amp when i get spare cash too!

22.jpg

33-1.jpg

44.jpg

11.jpg

SPECS:

1 x 15 inch woofer

2 x 12 inch woofers

2 x 4 inch midrange woofers

2 x wide dispersion piezo horns

3 x piezo tweeters

The amp is 100 watts RMS each channel and is almost new

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.as ... BCATID=443

Mids and highs are very directional so aiming a tweeter or horn at a persons waist isnt so great in terms of sound reproduction. Would you also be using the speakers as a desk cause vibration may also be a problem?

Other than that it has a certain 'wow' factor and if it works well then $350 is a bargain.

Mids and highs are very directional so aiming a tweeter or horn at a persons waist isnt so great in terms of sound reproduction. Would you also be using the speakers as a desk cause vibration may also be a problem?

Other than that it has a certain 'wow' factor and if it works well then $350 is a bargain.

No will not be using as a desk or to sit anything on mate. Will i need an extra set of speakers or will this do if i hook up to mixer and computer?

Looms like it's gonna give some hood bass but as Source said the height or the horn n tweeters may be an issue

looks good to me, but as for that amp powering it all, I've used it at jaycar, allthough a good amp I don't believe it's going to have enough punch to get that box pumping, but u said u will upgrade so that should be fine....I'd set assure around $500 for a good amp to power that all

Even if it was your could easily keep the faceplate that all the speakers would be attatched to and just replace the rest of the box, and usually the porblem with homemade box's are either cheap materials or not enough space inside the box for those big subs to contract and suck up some air

another thing yo conisder if you get it may be building a custom mesh cover to go over the front to protect the subs....but for $350 u just gotta decide if u can be fucked going to the trouble for that price :lol:

Is there only one speaker?

If so, not really good for most gigs.

As for the front and stated previously, you would need to put a cover on it to protect the exposed cones and tweeters, which in turn would hide the front graphics.

The amp doesn't look like it's a professional/commercial amp. More like it's for home/domestic use. Any amp that requires you to connect the speakers via the bare wires and not some form of connector is not really suited for external DJ use. How long could it run at high capacity if you are using it for a gig? And if it does give up half way through the gig, then what?

You could run the risk of using it for your first gig, but to me it would be more suited to the home lounge or rumpus room.

IMHO best to buy equipment specifically designed and proven for mobile work.

Funky steve, yeh that amp is actually a home theater amp used for larger theater systems

And lloydc ive been talking to this guy via private message and his budget is about $400 for at least 2 speakers at the moment

so i put him on to the powered 12" ebay speakers that me n FabDJ and 1 other member have

there about $150 each and about all he's gonna get for under $400...unless someone knows of anything else...?

Funky steve, yeh that amp is actually a home theater amp used for larger theater systems

And lloydc ive been talking to this guy via private message and his budget is about $400 for at least 2 speakers at the moment

so i put him on to the powered 12" ebay speakers that me n FabDJ and 1 other member have

there about $150 each and about all he's gonna get for under $400...unless someone knows of anything else...?

link to said ebay speakers?

yeah deffinatly has a wow factor but like source said, wouldnt be much use for gigs ussualy need 2 speakers angled in toward the crowd and another 2 up the other end of the room, otherwise you will find spots where all youll be able to hear is sub bass.

youll see producers talking about the right angles of setting up their production monitors, if you have them set up at wrong angles you wont be able to hear everything in yout track, same goes for live djing :)

IMO you're better off getting some of those powered PA speakers from JB hifi, if you're planning on buying another amp later on..... I think the brand is audioline?

EDIT:

http://www.jbhifi.com.au/jb-hi-fi-home- ... sku-17690/

two mates have had these and they just burnt out cant handle long periods, pretty good bass on them but my 12" behringer's go harder and clearer but are more expensive..you get what u pay for pretty much

• 7 months later...

Those Jaycar ones look pretty good.

The mp3 thing would be good at the end of the night, letting you pack your other stuff up, while still playing some quiet packing up music.

Would they fill a decent sized room? Would you need a sub to compliment them?

Cheers