New computer

Ravni

hey guys i have an older mac book pro, im looking to get a desktop computer, i currently run ableton suite 8 on the laptop, with out too many dramas. I dont have the cash for a pro G4 so im thinking of one of those mini macs with 2.66 core 2 duo with 8 g of ram

the desktop will be more for production, and the laptop for a live set up

what u guys think

it will cost me about 1800, or should i just build a PC for the same cash which on spec will be better

just a note w building your pc, buying the best of everything doesnt mean you will get the best. cuz sometimes not everything gels.

do yer homework. toms hardware is a good site.

i remember donkeys ago when i still lived at home we built one using the best and newest of eveything and the thing was a dogg and needed a lot of tweaking.

then when i bought my first machine for myself, i picked specific parts for a movie making machine (i setout to make a documentary. still got like 13 hours of footage in a shoe box but got over it and started to feel iffy about doing real life stuff) and anywho read shyte loads of websites and talking to several people to build this machine which killed it for its time. and it lasted a good four yrs with the only update was a dvd writer (im talking back in the dark ages kids, this machine had a floppy disc drive :) )

edit: actually my lappy is about 4.5 yrs old, so the desktop actually served me for at least six years without a hiccup

just a note w building your pc, buying the best of everything doesnt mean you will get the best. cuz sometimes not everything gels.

do yer homework. toms hardware is a good site.

i remember donkeys ago when i still lived at home we built one using the best and newest of eveything and the thing was a dogg and needed a lot of tweaking.

then when i bought my first machine for myself, i picked specific parts for a movie making machine (i setout to make a documentary. still got like 13 hours of footage in a shoe box but got over it and started to feel iffy about doing real life stuff) and anywho read shyte loads of websites and talking to several people to build this machine which killed it for its time. and it lasted a good four yrs with the only update was a dvd writer (im talking back in the dark ages kids, this machine had a floppy disc drive :) )

edit: actually my lappy is about 4.5 yrs old, so the desktop actually served me for at least six years without a hiccup

this is very true!

A mate of mine went through the process of building the biggest and baddest PC, with massive amounts of cpu/video/hdd etc etc

In the end, it was just a massive pile of shit. He had dramas and issues from the very beginning.

Hey ravni, I'm thinking of selling my 20" imac in the near future if you're interested.