Pioneer SVM-1000

Cupe

svm-10001.jpg

It seems that in the past year, the DJ industry has exploded with loads of new, revolutionary DJ paraphernalia from several manufacturers that suits nearly every genre of music and person, but a year later and Pioneer still dominates the DJ industry with a slew of DJ gear that is definitely unmatched. When compact discs became the new trend, Pioneer shattered the competition by introducing the CDJ line up. CDJs became the industry standard, replicating what Technics accomplished in the vinyl era. Unstoppable, Pioneer has done just what their name suggests, pioneering their way into the DVJ scene. A while back, Numark released their DVJ mixer, the AVM02 – a decent attempt, and one of the first of its kind (which was aimed at the more affordable end of the market), but this is Pioneer’s answer to Numark and its other competitors, the SVM-1000.

The SVM-1000 promised nothing less than the Pioneer standard, and it delivered. At first impression the mixer looks typical of Pioneer’s DJ equipment theme. Black and Bold. The layout is impressive, with video controls out of the way from audio controls and effects and visuals in a domain by themselves.

The challenge of combining VJing with DJing is the need to juggle audio and video together so that the club enthusiast can be engulfed in both sight and sound. This usually requires the VJ/DJ to control two cross-faders (as with the AVM02), one for video and one for audio. Pioneer decided that this was unnecessary and so they’ve made the SVM-1000 with a single cross fader that can simultaneously control both audio and video. Need I mention that the Pioneer cross fader has of course got assignable curves and fader-start effects? I didn’t think so.

What’s is worth mentioning though is the vast amount of video and audio effects that Pioneer squeezed into this monster house. Any A/V DJ would agree with me when I say that effects help to really emphasize your creativity. The mixer boasts over 25 onboard effects ranging from AV Beat effects, to AV Touch effect and Text effects.

AV Beat Effect Flavors Include:

• Delay

• Echo

• Pan

• Trans

• Filter

• Flanger

• Phaser

• Reverb

• Robot

• Chorus

• Roll

• Rev Roll

AV Touch Effects:

• Ripple

• Lens

• Spot

• Radiation

• Cube

• Block

• Kaleido

• Twist

• Zoom

• Drop

• Blur

• Distortion

Text Effects (these allow you to send text messages to the screens for the crowd to read):

• Random

• Zoom

• Block

• Rotation

• Crush

• Slide

Conveniently, Pioneer have included an on-screen keyboard for its users so that no external keyboard is necessary, but just incase you’re a picky DJ (and many of us are!), you can add one via the USB input.

Did I mention touch effects? This isn’t your uncle’s iPhone, the Pioneer SVM-1000 throws 11-inches of LCD directly at you, completely touch sensitive. This oversized touch screen allows the user to control all effects, monitor channels, utilize the digital cross fader and manipulate set-up. External media is evolving rapidly and Pioneer did not skimp on providing for the future, so we can see why the USB connectivity and SD Card readers were included.

I know what some of you Pro DJs are going to say, adding all these effects must degrade either audio or video, or even both! I don’t know if this might disappoint you but it doesn’t, everything works like a well greased up winch, since Pioneer built in ultra high quality 96kHz/24-bit sound and a 32-bit DSP for superior audio quality. As far as visualizations, the SVM-1000 allows the video signal to be processed with 600 MHz/32-bit/4800 MIPS. What does this all mean? You get full dynamic range, minimal noise and no deterioration of video. Period.

Still want more? The SVM-1000 gives you the option to control external MIDI equipment such as EFX and DJ/VJ application software. Why? Because you can.

Being one of the first of its kind it does have some draw backs, one of which is that it does not support HDMI nor the 1080p display resolution, and majorly - the price tag. It’s currently available for about $6,999. I would recommend this mixer to everyone but based on its price only the wealthy few will be lucky enough to own one, and it is evident why a superstar DJ such as Sander Kleinenberg is one of the prime users of these monsters.