Cheap-ish Speakers and Sub for 100-200 people?

Dibbo

Hey, only have basic knowledge of speakers and would like some good advice :)

Looking for two durable, loud speakers and a sub to play music off an iPod for parties of between 100 and 200 people. Would be playing all sorts of music but need some good bass!!

Budget: variable. If i can get a decent set for $500 I'll do it, but willing to spend up to $1000 if I have to.

While I'm here, can you see any immediate problems with installing speakers in some sort of home-made wooden box (got access to wood + factory)? Do I need space behind the speakers or would it reduce the bass or something, although the sub would be on the ground and speakers raised about 1m. Would vibrations be an issue?

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated!! Dibbo.

easiest way is to go with active speakers (bulit in amps) rather then passive (where u need an external amp)

JB hifi, Jaycar etc to some cheap speakers, check them out, other then that i suggest you check out

www.storedj.com

thats the DJ store most of us use, they are champs, Behringer speakers are probs your best bet from them

Bought a 18" Skytek powered sub for 400.00 from Store DJ 500wrms. Can handle a mid size club say

25m X 15m bar easily.

Seems the bigger the room the more bass you get out of em.

Play them in a living room at full bore and you can hardly hear them. Fuckin wierd.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems the bigger the room the more bass you get out of em.

Play them in a living room at full bore and you can hardly hear them. Fuckin wierd.

Reason is that the lower the frequency, the longer the wavelength. For example, 100Hz is about 3.5m for a full wave to develop. 20Hz is 17m or so. So if you are in a room that is only 4m long, then you are only going to hear frequencies above about 80Hz.

For those playing at home, I'm talking about sine waves. The formula is based on the speed of sound at a normal temperature (as the change of temperature alters the speed of sound as it modifies the air).