Putting a drops in songs

jbeard

Yeah sorry not sure of the proper term, but when the build up comes in to sound big then the 'drop' happens and every dances their nuts off.

ok thanks for the advise, just trying to suss out what the main technique was :)

with dubstep, a way you can make is have your intro down etc etc. then after 16 bars start your build, take out all the kicks or even all the drums, and just leave the synths playing, with some whitenoise 'sweeps' after 8 bars start to make the synth's rise in pitch, and bring in a kick build...like have a kick every 4 beats, then make it quicker to 1 every 2 beats, then to every beat then to every half beat, every quater, getting faster and faster etc etc. then on the 31st bar bring everything to a silence drop in your vocal hook or just have a real loud punchy snare snap on the 3rd beat of the 31st bar and then drop the bass on the 32nd making a nice 32 bar intro *around a minute ;) understand?

i havent made a full song yet coz I have no good patches and not much time to make music, but structure wise, Id go:

intro --> build --> drop --> release --> build --> drop --> --> release --> outro

try sidechaining the synths in the build sections and getting that pumping sound going, makes the drop seem to hit harder I reckon

I dunno how to explain release, it just comes after the drop section or whatever, where it becomes less intense, less things going on etc. and fuses into the build.

like in this song:

Intro: 0:00-1:00

Build: 1:00-1:30

Drop: 1:30-3:00

Release: 3:00-3:28

Build: 3:28-4:05

Drop: 4:05-5:19

Outro: 5:19-6:19

mostly focusing on dubstep

Dubstep is a sinch.

Corny melody for 14-30 bars, two bars of silence and insert some chav tellin you you to fuck your mother, then bang! Add wobbles, lasers and generic halt-time beats.

In all seriousness though, if you want your drop to have some impact there are a few ways to do it, as said before, structure is key, but there is more.

For a banger:

On the first beat of your drop you're gonna want to fill up as much off the audio spectrum as possible (that is 20Hz - 20 kHz), dont go completely all out and ram every possible noise in there or you're gonna go majorly in the red, but a good recipe for dubstep would be sub bass sweep, big midrange bass, a fairly solid beat and a crash cymbal or some white noise.

For the more musically inclined:

It will come down to chord structure, you'll want the last chord to sound as if it wants to resolve somewhere, for example the 12 bar blues which has been used a billion times (cause it works), you play I,IV,V in C major, V or G feels like it wants to resolve to I, so when you get to the end of your build and the V chord plays into the your I chord it makes everyone feel warm and fuzzy inside, it goes from unstable to comfortable, euphoria ting.

I hope you can make sense out of that last bit, but its hard to explain without writing a billion words.

Put those two ideas together and you have yourself some musical and production genius.