The Numark NS6/Itch thread

dim

Shop has just called to tell me the NS6 is finally there.

I'm off to try it out... hopefully you lot wont here from me for a while coz i'll be so busy tweaking it and sorting playlists and MIXIXIXIXING. I'll write reviews etc once the initial buzz has worn off a bit...

...but if it's rubbish i'll post why tmrw.

ns6 review:

ok so maybe i wont rule the world. but when i'm playing on it i sure feel like i'm on top of the world.

Str8 out of the box it plugged and played like a dream. I set it up to show itunes library where i already have about a zillion playlists/subcategories etc. They all showed up real slick in the browser and i could find and load shit v quickly.

Having used traktor b4 i was feeling hopeful that some of the cue and loop points i'd entered on traktor stripes may be transferred to itch but i do live in a dream world. Suffice to say i've had to redo cue points etc but they are very ez to add, delete and like traktor they stay with the track until you delete them without you having to save them or anything.

cue + play buttons are solid, comfortably clicky and respond easily as well as the cue/play on cdj1000s. Work pretty much the same way too except the main cue point is set by pausing the track and playing again, not by pausing and pressing cue like on the cdj1000s. I know a lot of cd players do it this way but it's something i need to get used to. I keep pausing and pressing cue (thinking i'm gonna set the point) but instead it jumps back to the previous cue... teething problem only.

5 hot cues each deck very ez to set, very responsive to touch. very ez to del.

manual loops also work just like cdj so you can set a loop then click in/out button and fine tune the position of the loop point by moving platter. The loop shows up in the wave form as lit green if looping or dark green if ready but not looping. Reloop button stutters well too.

auto loops work but i have disabled all beatgridding so only use auto on EDM if in a rush. I prefer having to manage a lightly imperfect manual loop anyway, i think it adds excitiement to a mix. The auto loop functions include a "double size of loop" or "half size of loop" to get that crescendo sound rolling but these can also be applied to manual loops which is nice.

the 4 dex work great. i use 1 and 2 as my main mixing dex, 3 as a space to leave a scratch sample, and 4 as somewhere to line up a tune if i want to get to it in rush. I was experimenting with other ideas using the 4 dex and I'm sure 4 deck mini mixes will be added to my repertoire soon.

one button switches deck layers so you can alter from deck 1 to deck 3 on left hand side or deck 2 to deck 4 on right hand side. Real ez.

the effects are ok for me. nice control and nice options. I always like a wet/dry on fx so nothing jumps in without being faded up smooth. The NS6 has this.

there is a master tempo or keylock option for each deck (i.e. the second layer dex too). also each deck has an independent range setting for the pitch control and a choice of wether the whole platter is a jog wheel or wether you have the top activated for scratching. All these options are remembered by the unit when it is turned off and on so you dont need to keep doing "pre-flight checks" before you start a set.

The platters dont have much indication of "clock technique" even tho there are lights on it. To know where i was on the track for basic juggling or scratching i had to watch the rotary indicators on my mac. This is something i'm not used to but fortunately i blagged the shop to give me a numark laptop stand so the mac is now positioned right in front of my face above the controller. watching this instead of the platters is something i'll get used to.

the waveform displays take up quite a lot of screen space and show a lot of detail, i've reduced the amount of info to minimum but still find it too much. a little distracting but mainly just taking up space that could be filled with browser. The minimum is still a full waveform of the song showing where you are at that moment, but also a beats and highs kind of display for each deck which i guess is so noobs can use the visual clues to line up beats. waste of screen space for me.

The browser also has a million ways of finding files from anywhere on your computer and it's own crates. as i use itunes none of this matters to me but i guess if you dont have an organised library for your music this would be handy.

When i first put it away i actually clumsily bent the pitch fader stem by squashing it against the box... so i figured i'd gently bend it back, shitting myself that the stem would be brittle metal and would snap... but it didnt, all well. I dont recommend you get as clumsy as me but i think it is fair to say the materials used are quality, all the pots are nice and rubberised, faders are ok and the whole unit is steel, quite heavy but comfortably so. I expect this unit will survive gigging and stand up to some knocks.

Headphones plug in the front, and there are crossfader assigns, pgm/mix pots etc on the front face which I can dig but i dont like. I'm one of those djs who likes to stand right up close to the dex and i'm always worried about snapping the headphones off if i get too close.

The platters themselves are a bit heavier than cdjs, and a bit smaller. They are bigger than the platter on the new ddjt1 and ddjs1 controllers and totally crap on the platters on the S4.

I learnt to mix and scratch on vinyl so have already made the transition to using cdj platters. i didnt see many probs tranferring my skills to these platters but admit I havent been able to achieve the standard of transforming, scribbling or cutting that I know i can yet. I think it is just a bit of getting used to.

One issue is the crossfader lag tho: i've been on the itch forums and there appears to be a free scratch plate available to users who want to reduce the lag on the NS6 crossfader. I will update this thread if i get one of these.

NB: i am not a turntablist and this product has not been aimed at true turntablists. I do basic juggles, cuts, and transforms only but these are part of my style and the reason that i have chosen the NS6 is because it does have the best platters on any midi controller for scratching IMO. I just have to get used to the weight and size of the platters and the lag on the cross fader.

Mixing is real smooth, nudging is 100%intuitive using the platters, the edge and top have nudge/scratch functions just like cdjs. the pitch fader is solid and i couldnt notice any fluctuations in tempo like you get on old vinyl turntables (no surprises there as this is 100% digital)

vol faders have own curve.

sound quality is good, but no level indicators for each deck, you only get a level indicator for the master vol. there is auto gain and a limiter which are ok but i mix old recordings (pre digital era) and these often need a big boost in gain and poss a bit of eqing. I used to be able to set these using pfl level lights so could be confident to drop them in live but on the ns6 have to fade them up slow while attending to sound quality. I'm on at the devs already to ask for the inclusion of level indicators on the software somewhere.

sound quality through headphones when scratching was real squeaky digital and worried me at first but the master output thru a p.a. rocked. I guess the headphone out isnt the same spec as the master out?

tech: this is a numark ns6 running itch v1.8

i have an i5 macbook pro, 4gb ram, 250gb space left on a 320gb HDD. 13" screen.

on itch software I have the latency set to minimum (1ms) screen updates set to maximum and the hifi resampling set to ON ( this claims it makes scratching etc sound less digital)

I played for an hour or two on thurs at home in headphones. then an hour or two in club thru p.a. last night. Loop on deck 4, two tunes mixing on deck 1 and 2, scratching on deck 3 with fx and battering hotcues and altering loops... in other words i really tried to do everything at once to see what it could handle... no audio dropouts, no glitches, no issues at all. I got ruined in the excitement of it all and have left it at venue. To be honest if it was here i would be playing on it not writing this review.

conclusion: there are a few teething troubles and things i need to practise and get used to on it but i love it, it isnt a pair of technics, it isnt a pair of cdj1000s, it is a very versatile, very intuitive, 4 deck system with everything i want in a very well built compact and lightweight package. I am no afficionada and I dont care for debates on which is the best way to dj i just know this unit totally suits my "jack of all trades" style of djing. With this I can do weddings/functions as easily as rocking up short notice at mates parties.

I hope the above makes sense, i will add pics and some demo vids when i get round to it.

great review mate +rep, couple of things worry me about it after reading that:

"Work pretty much the same way too except the main cue point is set by pausing the track and playing again, not by pausing and pressing cue like on the cdj1000s"

yiiiikkkkeesss, i might be nitpicking here but that would be a pretty big factor for me if i was doing a ddj v ns6 pro/con. I have it that ingrained in my muscle memory to do it the pioneer way that it would take me quite some time to get used to the ns6 way. Then if i was going from ns6 controller to pioneer cdj it would disorientate and frustrate me

"but no level indicators for each deck, you only get a level indicator for the master vol."

hmm thats a little disappointing, do the other controllers have that?

really liked the platter size comparison between the ddj and ns6, i watched the promo vid that has just been released on the storedj site (we dont get it till mid july) those platters look great for a controller

cheers caps, i cant comment on pioneer units but numark has a lot going for it.

gandy:

"Work pretty much the same way too except the main cue point is set by pausing the track and playing again, not by pausing and pressing cue like on the cdj1000s"

i dont think you're nitpicking, it's like changing car: windscreen wiper and light switched might be in a dif place, but you'll get used to it if you want to. also i found myself not really using the cue at all after a while as 5 hot cues were more than enough to always set hot cue 1 as main cue.

"but no level indicators for each deck, you only get a level indicator for the master vol."

this is a pain, but there are quite a lot of folk on itch forums asking for a software display of these as an update, fingers crossed.

i'm waiting for a lift to go collect it all and get my car. no gig tonite and kids are still at grandmas so will try post a vid later. maybe after a few beers to dull the hangover tho.

^ yer the ns6 is def for more platter-conscious players.

It's other main benefits over the pioneer is the steel body, xlr outs and the fact it works as a standalone mixer so if the shit hits the fan on your pc/mac you can stick an extra source into the NS6 and carry on. If the pc/mac that is running your ddjt crashes you lose everything.

horses for courses as usual tho man.

• 2 weeks later...
great review mate +rep, couple of things worry me about it after reading that:

yiiiikkkkeesss, i might be nitpicking here but that would be a pretty big factor for me if i was doing a ddj v ns6 pro/con. I have it that ingrained in my muscle memory to do it the pioneer way that it would take me quite some time to get used to the ns6 way. Then if i was going from ns6 controller to pioneer cdj it would disorientate and frustrate me

hmm thats a little disappointing, do the other controllers have that?

really liked the platter size comparison between the ddj and ns6, i watched the promo vid that has just been released on the storedj site (we dont get it till mid july) those platters look great for a controller

yeahhhhhhhhhhhh,

I don't think I could handle that either lol.

Numark NS6 scratch friendly crossfader plate review

What a difference a few millimetres makes!

Now let me make this clear: I am not a turntablist. This product is not aimed at turntablists as far as I know. But I like a scratch, a tickle, a dibby dibby, a wigga wigga. I like to transform. I don't do orbits, clicks or even flares, but i like to cut every now and then. I beatmatch, fade and cut mix, I do very basic juggles and mash hot cues and loops if the mix suits it. I'm an all rounder, a jack of all trades but master of none.

This fader plate made my NS6 the unit I though it was going to be.

The plate only reduces the fader lag by a few millimetres on either side. The original plate had a "no mans land" on either side where no sound came through but the fader stem still hadn't reached the edge of the slot in the plate. For smooth fades this is fine but for cutting and all transforms this meant the fader had to cross the "no mans land" before audio came out.

For scratching it is best if the fader cuts off all audio when the fader stem is as close to the edge of the plate slot as possible. Ideally the audio will be cut abruptly as your fader stem reaches the edge. It will then be available at full volume by nudging the fader stem back away from the edge by a tiny amount.

I don't understand why Numark left such a long lag on the factory standard plate. Having the scratch friendly cross fader plate means the audio cuts at exactly the edge and is at full volume with the slightest touch of the fader towards the centre. This makes cutting much easier. If a DJ wants a smooth fade on the cross fader they can simply use the curve adjust to set this regardless of the change in lag.

The fader is still a pretty basic one and the fader slot cannot be modified to take any other smoother or tighter fader to my knowledge. The fader has a pretty tight curve adjust which I have set to it's tightest or "scratch" setting.

Previously I used vinyl and a Vestax DMC 05PROII, then I had a Pioneer DJM 909 with CDJ1000s, I added Traktor Scratch Pro to my CDJ set up. The fader (with modified plate) on the NS6 doesn't compare to the Pioneer DJM909 fader. It does compare to the Vestax DMC05PROII. I cannot make comment on how well it will last as have only had it a month or two.

The fader stem is a noisy clicker. Anyone used to transforming may know how loud the clicking gets, and this one is pretty loud. The fader stem actually hits the edge of the plate not washers at the edge of the fader slot. There are reports of it starting to cut into the plate or damage the stem (see links below). I don't click that hard so am not concerned. If I'm mixing in headphones at home I can hear it. It isn't noticeable live.

Now… 1st things last: Actually fitting it took a few tries for me. Not because it is a difficult job, there are only 4 small screws which need one of those hex keys a bit like allen keys. You can pick up a multi-tool at a petrol station/store for not much $. The reason it took a few tries is because the lag is so tight that any tiny slip of the fader between it's mounting screws can result in the fader stem not cutting off the audio at all when fully at the edge. Having done this I recommend the following:

1) Fit the two fader mounting screws through the plate and into the fader loosely at first (these are the two innermost screws on the fader plate).

2) Slot the fader with plate into it's slot.

3) Turn on, boot up, check the fader works as expected. Don't start cutting, just gently check it turns off audio when at both edges.

4) Turn off.

5) Tighten the fader mounting screws.

6) Attach the plate and fader assembly with the other two plate mounting screws (these are the two outermost screws on the fader plate).

7) Turn on, boot up and check again.

8) Mix.

On my plate there was a tiny amount of manoeuvring available when mounting the fader to it's plate so I had to be gentle while tightening screws so as not to alter the desired position.

Overall: I really like the NS6. I had been waiting for a lightweight "best of all worlds" midi controller for a while. I had tried the S4, MC6000, Torq Exponent, Hercules series, mixtracks etc etc but I wanted one that felt comfortable to actually scratch on and responded well to my manipulation. This has satisfied me. the Itch software it comes with is straightforward but not very easy to modify. I find it fine. The NS6 will work with Traktor and midi maps are available. Actually scratching on the NS6 platters is about as close to the feel of CDJ1000s as CDJ1000s are to vinyl IMO. I think unless you are a 100%vinyl turntablist you could probably switch your skills to a NS6 quite quickly. Like when a guitarist changes guitar you would have to wear it in. You may want to spend hours getting comfortable with it, discovering where the cues, faders, pots etc are, setting drum loops and bass lines and accapellas and scratch samples on it's very easy to use 4 decks, enjoying the FX which aren't ground shaking but do the job when a mix needs it. You would probably want to record a few sets internally and reimport them so you could overdub and build up your own basic tracks…. but i go on; you'd get used to it. It's a very versatile, lightweight, so far reliable and solidly built 4 deck unit with FX, itunes support for browsing and now a suitably scratch friendly plate.

P.S. Thank you to Numark and especially Joe for getting my plate all the way to the U.K. NS6 users cannot currently register their product if they don't live in the U.S. and for a while I was worried I was going to fall foul of this when trying to obtain a plate. All went well so great work Joe.

I use a Macbook Pro with a 2.3 GHz Intel i5 Processor, 4GB RAM running OSX 10.6.8.

Other info on the NS6:

Faderplate request form: http://www.numark.com/trickedoutfaderplate

Forum discussion: http://serato.com/forum/discussion/474133

DJ Cerla Demo: http://youtu.be/hZsbiRl4ZnU

Review: http://www.skratchworx.com/reviews/ns6.php

NS6 Product Page: http://numarkns6.com/#!home

Itch Product page: http://serato.com/itch

I have DJ'd bars and clubs, done live cutting on tour with bands and done a fair amount of mobile DJ functions. I've never been big and you won't have heard of me, but I think I can DJ for a room.