Akai APC40 Controller

Jaz

THE GOOD: Excellent build quality includes a metal chassis, hard rubber siding, solid faders and encoders, and rugged rubber buttons. All in all, theses are tough, road-worthy units. Well thought-out, plug-and-play integration with Ableton Live makes these controllers a joy to use, especially when performing or recording in Live’s clip-oriented Session view. All controls are re-mappable. Outstanding return on investment.

THE BAD: The large number of backlit buttons necessitates an included AC adapter, rather than USB bus power. Although the APCs can be mapped to other software, Akai has no intentions of releasing MIDI templates for any software but Ableton Live.

THE BOTTOM LINE: The APC units are affordable enough for beginners, yet powerful and sturdy enough for professionals. With the included Akai Pro APC Edition of Ableton Live, these controllers provide an accessible point of entry into the most exciting and popular live electronic music performance software. For those with expansive needs, up to six APC units can be used simultaneously on a Live Set, which would probably be overkill, but it’s a nice sentiment. The APCs’ combination of seamless Ableton Live integration, rock-solid build, numerous hardware controls and affordability make them hard to beat.

P.S this was read on DJ Tech Tools

if you do get one Jaz, post a review cause i had my beedy little eye on an APC for awhile now. And i always come across kinda reviews by people that seem to all sound the same. i want to hear what they are like, used, abused and possibly broken :)

• 2 weeks later...

fair enough, when i bought mine it was when they were first released so they were fair expensive, getting it from the states saved me about $500.

Nothing beats that new feeling....knowing no one has spooged all over your equipment, keep that in mind afetr you have played with it the first time. Wash your hands before you eat hahahaha