Deacent quality XLR cable brand?

SolDios

ez, i may be proved wrong here but as a mobile DJ or anyone who regularly sets up and takes down their kit the setting up and de-rigging will put so much strain on all your cables that you may as well consider them a disposable part of the rig. This means the brand of cable doesnt really matter.

I buy bulk packs of unbranded cables from ebay, that way I have lots of spares.

The best option if you have the time is to buy the parts and solder your own, only 3 connectors each end and not too fiddly.

Be aware: Cables for live musicians/stages and studios will work on dj gear but are more expensive as they have to try harder to be quiet as deal with vox. You are only dealing with line level signals and the one mic so no need paying extra IMO.

rca cables have only two connectors (+ve and _ve), XLR have 3. The 3rd pin connects the shield which helps avoid hums, buzzes or other interference your audio can pick up as it travels.

It is more common to use XLR over longer distances or where amplified signals are being carried because of this feature.

You are right, RCA can be bodged to do the job and some less professional mixers only have RCA outputs...but for mobile DJing you really want to use XLR where possible.