mac firmware updates/ itunes crashing issues nov 2011?

imadje

Ez all.

I'm currently in the middle of two different projects for local govt education agencies and have 5 macs of theirs plus my own... Recently I have had software update download and install firmware updates on some of these machines and not on others. Unfortunately I've been a bit blase about which have had what as I have just been trusting the software updater.

I believe my machine has had two firmware updates in the last 3 weeks, but due to the reason above I am not 100% sure.

Anyway: my itunes has started freezing at really odd moments. Always on start up but not everytime.

Just wondered if anyone else was having issues with itunes freezing. Or had recently had firmware updates via their software updater, and whether anyone knew if these things could be related and how best to sort it out however it's been caused.

mine is a macbook pro i5 running os X 10.6.8, Dunno how i find out what firmware I have so feel free to tell me ;)

cheers in advance ladies and gentlemen

cheers spit.

mitch i'm on 10.5.1, All updates done only through software update. And am only bovvered about my machine, the others are all stable.

I only mentioned the other machines because it's due to them I am unsure which machines have had which firmware updates...

How do I tell which firmware version I'm on? Hasn't anyone else had to update firmware recently?

WTF?

Apple Software Update just insisted I plug in power cord to do yet another firmware update...

That's 3 in about a fortnight... i'm starting to get worried why no one else seems to be needing to do these updates.

Where on my machine can I discover what version firmware I have?

Help/advice please?

Go under the Apple symbol top left hand corner and click "About This Mac" Just under the big bold words of MAC OS X it will have a version 10.5 or 6 now clicking on this will cycle thru such things as software version, build, serial number.

Should you require a more in-depth info then click on the "more info" button that will bring up system profiler. You'll get lots of info in there of Hardware and Software you have installed on your lappy.

cheers mitch, hadnt realised I would be on dif to everyone else, but now i think about it I do feel pretty dumb...

and yeah I know where to find the info cheers, it's just none of them is clearly labelled "firmware version"

is it the one labelled "build 10k549"

worse case scenario: i am achaly gonna have to go ask another forum... ouch!

Open System Preferences

Go to Software Update

Click on the 'installed software' tab

There is a list of all installed software updates. Sort it by date with most recent at the top (which i'm pretty sure should be the default view) and the firmware version would be the most recently one installed.

mitch, you r da man.

so i was right: i have had a firmware update labelled this:

Macbook Pro SMC Firmware Update 1.5

and

Macbook Pro EFI Firmware Update 2.3

on 17/11/2011

then again exactly the same two again on 22/11/2011

and then again the EFI Firmware Update 2.3 on 29/11/2011

so now I know it's not me going mad and I really have been interrupted for more than the normal firmware updates... but why on earth would I receive the same update twice or three times?

should I speak to the apple whales?

It's quite strange that the same update has claimed to be installed 3 times

Normally firmware installs and then you can't revert back, that's it. So it's quite strange to have it show and install again and again.

Not sure what would be done as far as rectifying, try search apple forums to try find a similar case to yours. Or lodge a support claim to apple and they may ask to send some logs to them and you may get some help that way.

^it's the same on Macs Gandy. Whenever an update is really important (especially if it's firmware) there is a dialogue box stating please plug in your computer to continue etc etc blah blah.

I'd never do a firmware update on anything that wasnt plugged in just in case. As you beautifully put it: " havign your battery run out and laptop die mid update = fucked"

ANYWAY: I just used software update to check for new updates and there are none now. I guess I just needed to worry a bit and wait and then Apple got it 3rd time lucky. I hope that's the end of it.

On a side note: The apple forums are full of freax and fools who wouldn't know help if the beatles sang it to them.

Thank the maker for Mitch Duff. He didnt do much but it stopped me fretting and that stopped me doing something dumb :)