Stuck...do i go cdj or digital?

Dragon

Hey guys,

I posted a while back about setups. Theres been a delay but soon i'll be able to make my purchase, but help! I stopped djing 3 years back. There i mixed on two 1210s and a cdj. I'm now getting back into it but with no hardware for me to try out, as i live in regional wa with no real music stores, i cannot get a hands on feel, so i need your help!

2 choices spring to mind, a macbook pro and a controller, or a full cdj setup. If digital do i get a ddj pack or should i go for th denon dnmc6000 as i may get a cdj for fun? Cdj would either be an 850 or 900. As i was from vinyl some of these jog wheels on controllers are tiny! Can you ge the same sensitivity in terms of control on small jog wheels?

My budget is about 5k. I have no idea!

If you are from mixing vinyl, Have you considered a timecode vinyl setup?

Ie. turntables with serato/traktor and a laptop?

As for a controller vs cdj, I personally like Cdj's better. Better feel to it, more options. Also, Can use usbs, cd's or turn it into a digital time code setup with a laptop if you wish. Also any club you go to will have pioneer cdjs, so if your leaning down that path you'll need to know your way around a pioneer cdj.

However some people love their controllers, and I'm not one to judge them, especially when I have only used very basic controller and not a high end one.

Wazza - the gear expert can prob help you out more than me, but at the End of the day it's all personal preference.

IMO If your from vinyl/cdj mixing I'd stick with one of those options

I,m with Mitch ....I get both c.dj ( cdj 850 ) & a midi controller (NI traktor s4 )with laptop for a good 4 deck setup

Because you can play small partys with just the s4 ...if you need a bigger setup for the club/ pub that don't have a setup , you can plug the cdj into the s4 & rock time code & music of a USB finger drive

As for the feel off jog wheels now days even the small jog wheels on the vci 300 are good for mixing & scratching ...when these midi controller first came out 3 years ago the feel was shit but now days the feel are very good .....like my numark ns 7 midi controller the scratch feel on them is as good as real vinyl....every jog wheel feel is difference & it's something you will have to get use to

Cheers chaps,

Back in the day i mixed with a cdj1000 mk 1. I've sold my vinyl, but still have my cds. I was kinda thinking of cds as i can use usbs, but the ddjs1 looked nice. I don't think i'd get vinyl again, ourely because the post is so shite and i'd probably hve a lot of warped vinyl! I used a hercules controller and they were not sensitive enough and i'm old skool, so do not want to use the sync button! Wazza what are the denon dnmc6000s like? Ddj's are only two deck at the mo and i may want to use 3 sources for a mix

Cheers

these days it doesn't matter. i loved vinyl and then played cds because thats how things were but now im really thinking of moving to a laptop. i guess its now been "accepted" so to speak. as long as you can entertain a crowd then go down whichever path you want :)