[Tutorial] Recording Mix's with Traktor Audio 6 With a Mic

89jase

Sorry if in wrong section!

Ok guys, new here but I’ve been working on this for a few hours and finally came up with a solution. If you want to get or have got a Traktor Audio 6 Sound Card and want a Microphone without forking out $100 for a TA10 follow this guide and you’ll have everything you want.

What you need:

• 2 basic CD players

• Basic 1 Mixer

• Microphone

• Headphones

• Speakers

• Traktor Audio 6 sound card (TA6)

• Scratch CD's

(This should work on pretty much any setup)

Wiring Diagram:

ta6mixmic.png

Steps:

Wiring

1. UNPLUG EVERYTHING

2. Plug in all power cords

3. Plug in TA6 USB Cable

4. Plug CD Player A into Input A on the TA6

5. Plug CD Player B Into Input MAIN on the TA6

6. Plug TA6 Output A into Mixer Input A

7. Plug TA6 Output MAIN into Mixer Input B

8. Plug Headphones and Microphone into Mixer

9. Plug Mixer Output into TA6 input B

10. Plug your speakers into TA6 Output B

Software

11. Open TA6 Drivers and set channel B to Direct Thru. (Ensure they’re still line channels)

12. For Input routing

Deck A = Ch A Input (both left and right)

Deck B = Ch Man Input (both left and right)

Deck C = Ch B Input (Both left and right)

All other Decks = Not connected

13. Output Routing

Deck A = Ch A Output (both left and right)

Deck B = Ch Main Output (both left and right)

Deck C = Not Connected

All other Decks = Not connected

14. Set Deck C to Live Input

15. Set Mix Recorder to External and Select Deck C from the Drop down Menu.

Testing

16. Load up a track into both decks, make sure your scratch CD’s are in.

17. Go to Record and start recording.

18. On the mixer set the cross fader to the left, play the track and check the input on the Recorder

19. Do the same for the Cross fader on the right

20. Test Microphone input

21. Double check headphones working (don’t see why they wouldn’t)

Explanation:

Ok so basically what is happening here is that seems you can’t set the main channel to direct through, we have to use Deck B on the Main channel instead (as there is no difference for just a line in) and use Channel B on the TA6 as the direct through.

Having the direct through allows the mixer to output to speakers, but why are we going back through the sound card and not directly to the speakers? Because if we had that, Traktor will record everything that goes through it, so this means it will record you queuing up your tracks. So we need traktor to record after your mixing board, that is why you have the Input for Deck C as Channel B but no output (if you had an output that you’d get an infinite loop of feedback)

This should work for nearly everything out there, What I used was Two Stanton C.324 CD players, Stanton 212 Mixing board and of course my TA6

(screenshots coming soon)

Hope this helps!

my head hurts thinking about all that...

from your explenation though i get what your trying to do. Still confusing though.

Much easier to have a mixer with a rec out that you can route to an input on the audio 6. Well at least thats what I do with my Audio 8. Mixer main outs are hooked up to monitors directly.

looking at the pic of the mixer back panel you problem is arising from not having a rec out.

???

@SolDios Having everything setup as normal will then record your queuing will it not?

Nope, as it is recording from the master, it will only record what comes out your main speakers.

sdsfe.png

Yes I know it's messy and I got my left and right confused.

But this is a much more simple way, the way you have it is extremely impractical, and would require some SERIOUS re mapping.

The way displayed is how both me and hobberz do it.

Correct, I suppose if you had rec out then you'll be sweet in which some of the same steps apply. However having cheaper / more basic equipment, this gets the job done perfectly.

@SolDios, I guess it comes down to the connectivity with your Mixer. Something basic like my m.212, you don't have that luxury

I don't know a lot about Sound cards, but wouldn't you want the TA6 to record it as opposed to a generic on board laptop sound card?

Also, I think the way the TA6 works with the ASIO Drivers, it won't allow you to use both the TA6 and onboard sound card (could be wrong)