Mastering

JonnyB

how do you guys master your tracks?

im still extremely amature at it.

but basically what i do is add a EQ and cut off everything below 23hz and everything above 19-20khz, add a compressor, then a limiter and then a level meter, switch the metering to RMS and post gain in limiter untill the RMS is peaking at -10db.

This is all after ive done the mixdown which peaks at around -6db sometimes a bit more

Yeah man I mix it down to -6 or 7 to be safe and then shelf extreme frequencies in paraeq2 then throw the whole thing into Ozone. EQ it again, add between 0 and 4% mastering reverb depending on the track. For the compressor in there I tend to keep the knee pretty moderate, nothing too ridiculous but I still have a lot to learn about that. Ozone also has harmonic excitation and I don't know the physics behind it but it sounds dope haha. Im in the same boat, still pretty amateur and I hope more people post up.

I don't have to master my tracks anymore, but when I did, I firstly had it peaking between -4 and -6, then did a low cut at 28Hz, put on a compressor, did some boosting with Logic's Linear Phase EQ, and then put a limiter.

Does anyone put sausage fattener on the master channel?

did a low cut at 28Hz,

Is that not a bit high? I was under the impression it's everything below 20Hz that yu want to take out as thats around where the human ear starts to hear things...

Don't imagne it would make a grat deal of difference right enough will it?

This is really bad (I guess) but I have a standard mastering preset I've made and for each track I just adjust the eq. Takes me about 20mins tops to master a tune now. When I was getting it done by someone else I had mixed results. Now I just chuck it into my preset and most if the time it sounds decent so that's all I'm worried about since I'm not too fussed on getting my doof signed.

there is a few parts to these. some insight.

I never really master my own stuff, have mastered a few tech tracks in the past but its tricky in my room and without a sub. a quick master for club (after about a week mixing down mind you) consists of EQ, comp (some times multi band), limiter and another EQ for any spill. probably not ideal but it goes alright for a rough job

yes sir!.

may i ask why? i achally do it 20khz. not 19.

havnt dont too much on music theory at all but isn't anything over 20khz out of our frequency range and just a waste of energy?

While human ears can't hear above 20kHz, cutting off at 20 affects the harmonics of the frequencies below it, usually dulling the overall mix, the reason cutting out lower frequencies doesn't matter in that regard is because those frequencies are already dull, all low cutting does is take out a lot of the power, which is usually wasted anyway cause people don't usually have speakers that can translate it anywho.

As far as wasted energy on the high end, thats no real problem, chuck a spectrum analyser on your master and look at the high end, it will almost always be taking up nowhere near as much as around 100Hz, so cutting at 20kHz won't really do much for your headroom, and is really doing more harm than good.