Speaker hook up

AlexJ

Hey guys been djing for a while, i dont whether or not this is a common question but i thought i should put it in the beginners section just in case to prevent flaming.

Well ive been using a cdj 400 djm 400 active speaker set up for a while now. Now at current the mixer allows me 2 speaker outs, which im currently using via the rca-rca to my to actives. my question is, is there anyway to make it so if i was to buy to more active speakers whether ide be able to connect them up to the system, or am i getting to the stage where i need to throw some money at an amp and some passive speakers?

i get pretty big sound as it is. but u know, there is always the next step and i mainly want to get more speakers so i can get the sound off the floor while still retaining the fantastic bassy feel. my current speakers dont accomodate stands so if i want to get them off the floor i simply put them on a table. but u know, thats a mute point for addressing my question

any and all assistance that can be provided would be muchly appreciated

thanks

Had a similar issue a while back dude. Now im not the best with sound/speaker set ups so someone might be able to correct me if i'm wrong. But I also have a DJM-400 mixer. In my situation I ended up buying an amp, and new speakers. Hooked the speakers into the amp and go from there. Get a good amp and you will be able to hook up multiple sets of speakers/subs. Trying to run multiple sets of speakers just from the DJM400 isn't even possible I don't think. Safer bet is to get a dedicated amp and you can expand from there.

Could be wrong but thats the way I approached my similar issue!

What type of active speakers do you have? Mackies, JBL etc usually have a pass thru feature where the audio signal from your mixer is sent to the speaker and then out again (via a balanced connection) to another powered speaker. This way you can daisy chain a number of speakers togeather.

You can also buy a signal splitter (active or passive) and split the signal to a couple of speakers. Say two for the left and two for the right channel.

Another way is to send the signal to a small 'sub' mixer. You can then use this to split the signal into a main output send and an auxiliary send, both left and right.