Controller for beginner DJ

Tayownzu

I'm not sure what the best option is for me, get a low end controller such as the 'Numarks Mixtrack Pro', which is good quality for it's price but isn't reccomended for club use. Or do I get a higher quality more expensive one which is designed for club use? Keep in mind I am a beginner and will be playing at house parties for a good time before I get an actual gig. The question I'm asking you is it worth getting a baller controller, when you have little to no experience. Also if you guys have any suggestions on what controller to get, please share them : )

Cheers in advance

*update* Budget - I just got a 2n'd job so Yeaaaah (10k a day CEO :roll: ). Also I can use any software.

since you dont plan of gigging at clubs for a bit, the Numark Mixtrack Pro would be an excellent start for you.

Its got everything you need for a beginner.

Or even something some guys have here higher budget would be the Numark NS6

maybe post some budget details and what kinda software you use mate :thumright:

If your on a higher budget you can go 3 ways (really 5 actually):

-midi controller - controls the computer using an interface that replicates 2 players and a mixer all in the one unit.

-Cdj's (with or without computer): you can either use cd's, USB drives or even your computer to store music on. Cdj's are probably the most common method of mixing in clubs atm. Saying that plenty still use the other two formats.

-vinyl (with or without computer): can use either vinyl records, or you can use timecode records which allow you to control your music stored on the computer using the vinyl records.

These days It doesn't really matter too much which way you do things. All personal preference. Do you have any friends that dj that uou can try their equip out and see what you like?

If your on a higher budget you can go 3 ways (really 5 actually):

-midi controller - controls the computer using an interface that replicates 2 players and a mixer all in the one unit.

-Cdj's (with or without computer): you can either use cd's, USB drives or even your computer to store music on. Cdj's are probably the most common method of mixing in clubs atm. Saying that plenty still use the other two formats.

-vinyl (with or without computer): can use either vinyl records, or you can use timecode records which allow you to control your music stored on the computer using the vinyl records.

These days It doesn't really matter too much which way you do things. All personal preference. Do you have any friends that dj that uou can try their equip out and see what you like?

MIND = BLOWN

wait wait.. you can use cdjs on a computer? Whats the benefit of that? Anyway what do you guys reckon which method has the best marketing, if it's even relevant and purely personal preference.

I personally use cdjs. I like using them with just USB drives and no computer.

Te benefits of using cdjs with a computer:

-retain the feel of using cdjs while still having the ability to access a large library on computer.

-depending what software you use, you can get extra features, such as quantized looping (keeps your loops in time)

-plug your computer into club system so you just take laptop and sound card

Benefits of no computer:

-less setup/packup

-easier to manage, less hassle, less things to go wrong with setup

-don't have to worry about a computer crashing mid gig

-less to cart around, can rock up with only headphones and a couple of flash drives/CDs to a gig that supplies main equip (eg club)

So basically with cdjs you can use with or without computer if you purchase the right stuff

the mixtrack is prolly the closest cheapest thing you will get to a CDJ :), and it will be the most mobile thing you can get for a starting rig that has CDJ-like controls like the rest said, it all depends on your goal, i never plan to get into club DJing, so i now have my goal controller Pioneer DDJ-T1 :D

but you should really learn to beatmatch with no waveforms first, it is just TOTALLY different to using a controller or even a computer, if possible maybe find a mate who has some CDJ's and have a go, it really makes you learn phrasing fast :D