Beginner focus

philneil

I'm just wondering what beginner DJ's such as myself should focus most of their time on?

Obviously beat matching is crucial to DJ'ing but what other things should we be trying to do to create smooth mixes?

As a beginner it can be really tempting to play around with loops and effects but I think these are probably a waste of time if you can't smoothly transition between tracks.

Would like to hear your thoughts

Cheers

don't even think about touching FX for a while ... they don't make you a better DJ. If anything they highlight how average a lot of DJs are.

You don't even have to beat mix to be a good DJ

DJing is about tune selection. Work on this first and foremost. Get familiar with your tunes ... their strucure ... their vibe. Thence once you've got a firm grasp on beat mixing you'll have a better idea of how to thread tracks together.

It's your track selection that will set you apart from other DJs. Every DJ worth their salt can beat match in their sleep ... but that skill is worth nothing if you're pushing out the same set as the next guy comprised of the hottest and latest finds on Beatport.

don't even think about touching FX for a while ... they don't make you a better DJ. If anything they highlight how average a lot of DJs are.

DJing is about tune selection. Work on this first and foremost. Get familiar with your tunes ... their strucure ... their vibe. Thence once you've got a firm grasp on beat mixing you'll have a better idea of how to thread tracks together.

It's your track selection that will set you apart from other DJs. Every DJ worth their salt can beat match in their sleep ... but that skill is worth nothing if you're pushing out the same set as the next guy comprised of the hottest and latest finds on Beatport.

word up..!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I cant say I agree with that. If I go out and hear good tune after good tune but each time with a trainwreck in between then I will leave and find somewhere that books REAL djs.

Work on the flow of Music

There are different transition techniques you can do when mixing tracks

try cutting and fading (use all your levels and x fader to get a smooth blend)

You HAVE to be able to match beats. Thats Imperitive (check spelling).

If you have a good ear for music then you can train yourself to mix in key (mixing tracks that are made in the same key (sound))

It really all depends on what you want to mix.

If your mixing hip hop and r&b (and breaks to a certain extent) then not so much emphasis on beat matching and more on cutting and scratching etc (but you still have to know how to beat match)

Mixing House, trance etc you want to hold that mix for 2 minutes sometimes (even more) so if your a little bit out - Its a mess

Best tip is just to get in your room and go nuts. Play and play an play and play. When your over it and you want to sell your set up, mix some more. Practice practice practice.

Even find someone who you know that is a good dj and ask them to mix with you (at home). I picked up alot of techniques playing b2b sets and just watching other djs.

Hope this helps

there are some biug dj's who almost never beat match. Dave guetta comes to mind.

not to mention fatboy slim, very average mixing, but still rocks a party better than anyone else.

focus on beatmatching first and foremost though. only once you have that rock solid do you have time to work with effects, samples, loops etc.

probably the best tool to improve is to record your mixes every time. you'll notice your errors more than most folks. Post them on line and ask for comments, as more experienced folks may notice stuff you do not(key clashes for example).

I wouldnt really call Dave guetta a dj. Producer maybe but not dj (not from when I saw him anyway lol)

FBS - Come on. The man is the king. He does beatmix (maybe not well) but he still does.

And again, FBS got his name from Producing as well.

Also the thing about FBS is that he re-works all his tracks so he offers something that no-one else can. FBS produced remixes (which are the ducks nuts).

have a look under his pizzaman alias. Some good produced stuff there too. A little more underground than 'Praise You'

its pretty simple Beat mix, if you want to use those effects all the time sell your mixing buy one with out effects, Scratching if you do RnB/Hip hop i guess learn, i rarely scratch being an electro DJ but i guess it can come in handy once in a million years lol, Practice Practice practice.

Ohh and don't become one of those Djs that play the same music every night (i can't stand goin to a club and knowing what the next 5 songs are going to be)

Always bring something fresh to the set, i can rock a club and most of the time ill be playing artist you may never heard of because i love to pull out nobody's and make them dance if you can do that you know your rocking the club

my 2 cents

In my opinion :

Beatmatching is obviously extremely important - but as you said - you already know that.

Track selection is also important - but any DJ can play the same 20 tracks as every other DJ is playing. Try and play something different that still sounds good.

Make the music your own - this is what I think will make some DJ's more successful then others. When I play a track I try and change it - add in parts of other tracks as fill-ins, use ornamentation and turntablism skills (scratching, or a capella's or whatever), cut a different track in at an odd time where people won't expect (perhaps at the end of a build up - cut another beat in), or use the bassline from one track with the melody of another (providing you have a good enough ear to tell if they are in the same key)

Keeping in mind the above - you still need to make the mix feel as though it is one peice of music. It should flow from start to finish, most of the time increase in BPM and intensity of the music from start to finish. A full DJ set should almost be like an individual track - it should have an introduction, a build up, a breakdown, a banging chorus. The only difference to a track is you wouldn't have an outro in a mix as you want to finish on a high.

At the end of the day - you need to develop YOUR OWN STYLE. Whatever music you play - you need to have your own sound and your own way of making a mix. Try and play different tracks in each mix - but make the overall feel of what you are mixing the same.

Thats just my 2 cents I guess - each to their own - but that's what I try and do to express myself as a dj - not just mixing one track into the next.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm just wondering what beginner DJ's such as myself should focus most of their time on?

Having fun. If your having a rad time playing the same 4 bar loop flanged to kingdom come keep that up.

do whatever you want.

oh and listen to lots of music.

• 5 months later...

I think the most important concept to grasp is the way you listen to music. As a DJ you listen to music completely differently to the average clubber. Be analytical and think how you would link every song you hear into a mix. The most important part of the dj ritual is creating a groove and that can only be done if you understand your music properly. Identify the different layers to a track, beware of its speed, think about where it builds up and breaks down. For a mix DJ there is usually one 'sweet spot' where a mix can be hit when blending two records together. timing is crucial. you MUST hit the sweet spot to make your mixes sound really good. Beatmatching is important but will come with time. I certainly wouldn't rely on autobpm counters in traktor or cdjs as you will not learn how to be a DJ and be over-reliant on technology. The music comes 4 beats to a bar and in general is in 32 beat cycles. If you get into the pattern of initially counting 32 beats , you will see how a track is laid out...

Obviously having fun is the most important part... If you know how to have fun with your music you will be able to entertain others which is what it's all about...

• 3 months later...

Just learn beat-matching and learn to adjust the pitch to ensure that it is beat-matched perfectly.

Go to pcdj.com and download PCDJ-Red Mobile (Demo).

http://pcdj.com/index.php/products/dj-s ... ed-mobile/

I don't use this software I use PCDJ-Dex to manually DJ, so I'm saying this off the top of my head.

How to use the Repeating/Cue and Hot-Cues on PCDJ-Red Mobile.

Load songs of similar Beats Per Minute (BPM) into decks A and B. (ie:138 BPM in deck A & 141 in B)

Play deck A (138 BPM) and ensure the cross-fader is at the left position.

Play deck B (while monitoring).

Pause deck B and turn the dial (Nudge) using your mouse to activate the Repeating/Cue function. It will sound like a da, da, da, da, da. Now adjust it at or before the beat.

Now you'll see a button with a Red-Spot on it- press the red spot button then press the Cue-point you wish to save it to ie: Cue 1 to save.

Now you just adjust the pitch of deck A (138 BPM) to match the pitch of deck B (141 BPM).

Then to use the Hot-Cue on deck B you simply tap the Cue you saved earlier by pressing (tapping) Cue-Point 1 until its beat matched perfectly.

Now if its still not Beat-Matched perfectly you simply adjust the pitch of deck B while monitoring with headphones by turning the dial (Nudge) using your mouse to momentarily adjust the pitch up or down to Beat-Match perfectly, then when your satisfied that it is perfectly Beat-Matched you can cross-fade.

Try saving multiple Cue's within the song and try performing Cue-Point tricking by alternately tapping different Cues.

If you master this BUY a copy of PCDJ-Red Mobile and manually DJ. Don't EVER do that automatic DJing crap or other DJs will laugh at you. Also BUY your software and BUY your music and be a REAL DJ that uses manual DJing techniques.

Just be a REAL DJ.

regards,

John Myatt (Darwin)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

bump;

what about mid, high, temp, treble, bass etc...

i know they fuck around with the sound but what do they actually do to the sound? All i know is bass, and treble the high sort of clapping sounds...

also, what are some DO NOTS of being a dj... especially a beginner... what are mistakes that you've made yourself, or even common ones that a lot of dj's do?

thanks