CDJ2000 BPM

DionDJ

Sup all.... Just wondering on the CDJ2000's, the BPM counter has a decimal place. (i.e. 126.4) so does that mean you don't really need to beat match? set both your tunes at 126.4 for instance time it right... and boom, they will be in sync.

I have 900's but they have the BPM and a percentage, so you obviously need to take more time nailing the timing.

I'm sure you guys / gals already know that some tunes can be a real bitch to match, but they go so well together, so if the decimal works how I think it does, it would make life that much easier match 'em up quickly.

Cheers :salut:

even though it goes to .1, that can still mean one tune be 126.38 (which will display as 126.4) and the other be 126.42 (and also display as 126.4), so there is still some beatmatching to be done.

however if the bpm counters are accurate (sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't) it will get you fairly close.

ok well if your usbs are rekordbox analysed, that bpm analysis has been done by the computer and not the CDJ anyway, so its usually fairly accurate (as far as BPM analaysis on a computer goes). Its more accurate than using non-rekordbox analysed usbs or CD's.

you can hook your CDJS up to your laptop using LAN cables and play tracks directly from rekordbox on the cdjs if you want to use your computer, but the end result is the same as using usbs. the bpm counting is done the exact same way etc. you just have your laptop screen to look at

Nope they arent that accurate, you can get them close that way but they can still drift a fair bit, the better way to do it is pitch percentage ie 0.8 pitch change is 1 bpm for anything around 128 bpm, this is how i did it before i got better at doing it by ear, this way you need to know the tracks bpms beforehand.

I still make playlists with the bpm so i can mix quicker in clubs.

Thanks Mitch - yeah the screen on RB gives you more data because it goes to 2 decimal places (128.xx)

Thanks for the info Grem. Sounds like the best way to do it is by ear which is what I do now.

I play the track, get the BPM the same on the CDJ, then listen and keep adjusting until they stay matched. Once I know it's matched then I'll think about mixing it.

Keen to hear a different methods though.