Trouble Recording Mixes with New Laptop

DionDJ

I just bought a new laptop & when I record though Audacity it comes out really tinny and poor quality, almost like it is using the internal microphone and picking up the sound that is coming through the speakers in the room.

My old laptop had internal and external sound drivers for the mic, this one just says Microphone and when you look in the settings in depicts and internal and 3.5 jack. Not too sure if that means it automatically detects that when you plug in something to the jack it will use that input instead. I have attached a photo to show what I mean. Any help / advice would be greatly appreciated. :help:

microphone.jpg

What about the bottom right hand corner of the screen. Do you have a sound driver control panel you can open (not the windows one)?

Sometimes you need to manually tell it what you have plugged in. rare, but i've seen it. you would have to tell the sound driver that you are using it as a line in.

You can also change the recording settings in the windows sound area. you can select to mute all items except for line in. thats also a good idea.

Also check Audacity to ensure it only records from the linein source.

If you dont have a line in port you cant record mixes with the internal soundcard man.

I have realtek on one of my laptops and it's all predefined you shouldnt need to set any of the input.

Just buy a cheap usb soundcard dude, although also possible you might be able to use the mic port like you said, im sure somebody can explain whether a line in and mic port are actually the same or not.

mic port has more gain than a line in port. which when you plug a record out from a dj mixer to a mic in it puts a too high of a gain on it, causing clipping / distortion

by the looks of your soundcard there you only have a mic in and not a line in, your best bet probably is to get a cheap external man

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...