Re-Creating a live mashup professionally.

SolDios

Hey guys, so I heard this killer part of a mashup the other day:

(Skip to 0:45)

Just wondering if technically I could re-create it as a full track and give him credit for the idea?

I only just intend to use it in party warmups and perhaps a mix tape down the line?

Also what software would I need? Could I do it with audacity?

Garage band seems quite flawed for this as the beat markers on the software itself never seem to match up with the track. Also it seems to only want to snap to it's own grid, making it next to impossible to grid together properly.

Haven't watched the video yet but i have two points:

a) when you make a mashup the idea is that its your idea / your creation. i wouldn't go and recreate his mashup. sure you might give it a crack live, but thats as far as i'd go with it.

B) garageband is very capable DAW to make a mashup in

Its called a reboot, technically nothing wrong with doing it, people see guys like swedish house mafia play bootlegs and they go remake them.

It would obviously be a bit lame as you are just copying somebody else but if you cant find a copy of the bootleg people will like it if you make a good version.

Ableton is the software you want.

Can do that but always handy having edits and bootlegs already done.

Also forgot to mention you dont have to put it online anyway, i re make heaps of bootlegs other people do but dont necessarily like parts or the quality might be crap.

Nobody can own a bootleg or mash up sol go for it!

I wouldn't use Audacity for it.

Garageband could work, but you want Ableton for this sort of mashup. The vocals will be a totally different tempo to the track and ableton can automatically warp tracks to a certain tempo. But its not the best way of doing it either as sometimes it mucks it up and makes it sound shit.

I wouldn't use Audacity for it.

Garageband could work, but you want Ableton for this sort of mashup. The vocals will be a totally different tempo to the track and ableton can automatically warp tracks to a certain tempo. But its not the best way of doing it either as sometimes it mucks it up and makes it sound shit.

If im working with vocals i either do it on the decks or vdj and record it at the set tempo