Should I become a DJ?

J2JSmall

Hi Everyone,

I am new here and definitely new to the DJ world. I am currently sitting on the fence so to speak about becoming a DJ and following what I want to do, I am 22 years of age and haven't really played with DJ equipment before, I have an extreme knowledge of IT and most audio Technology, I work as an IT Coordinator and have been exposed to PC's/Mac's and Technology now for 90% of my life, I feel that my passion for music and abilities with technology would be a great combo but not sure if I should or not. I live on the Gold Coast and have a fair bit of spare time, outside of my job I also run my own Event Photography Business which is doing rather well.

Money to me isn't a massive issue but I wasn't looking to get the best of the best to kick things off since it would just confuse me, if there is one thing I have learnt it is too slowly wade in to new things and not just jump straight to the deep end. I have been watching hundreds of DJ's over the years and had a keen interest but never pursued it. I know it won't be an "Overnight" success and it will take a great deal of time before I am putting out my own mixes but I am keen to learn.

I am unsure what exactly I should be starting with in terms of gear but have a good interest in Traktor gear, I was looking at the Traktor S2 to kick things off, open to opinions though as you guys are a lot better than me at this stuff and know your way around.

I have already decided on a name J2J-Small... Fondly enough this is ironic because it’s just my name… my first name Joel, my second name John and my last name is German for Small, so this is where I get the J to J Small from, it is also ironic that my last name is German for small as I am 6"5'. So I thought this would be a great name as it sounds catchy and is ironic in its own way. What you all think?

Anyways, looking for a little encouragement here and tips to starting out.

Thanks,

J2JSmall

If you're not sure about it head to your local music store that has a traktor or serato set up and have a play around with the features. These days it's not really hard to pick up but you're gonna have to develop your own little style that stands out from the rest.

Traktor would be your best option as there's a lot of support for it out there.

I,m on the Gold Coast.....come and jam with me

and I will show you serato (itch and scratch live ) and traktor scratch, so you can get a feel for which software you like..

using CDJ 1000 mk3's..turntables and midi controllers..got lot's off producer/dj shit for you to play with ..samplers (mpc 2500, roland mv 8000 ,roland mc 808 )..

you might be able to help me out with the I.T shit for something I got come up ;);););)

You say you have a passion for music but I guess the important questions are: how much do you love music? and how much do you love sweaty clubs full of lunatics?

If the answer to these is "feckin heaps" then you'll prob do alright.

So:

Meet Wazza. (you won't get offers like that ^ very often)

Try as many things as you can.

:allthethings:

See how it feels.

Decide.

p.s. your approach sounds good: take it slow, don't expect too much, do it for the love, see what happens.

good luck mate :thumright:

Hi joel,

welcome to the forums.

Given your experience with audio technology and IT, you shouldn't have much trouble understanding how most of it works... it's just a matter of practice.

you'll find plenty of inspiration and encouragement around these parts, and don't be afraid to ask questions... we're all here to help each other, and we've got some experienced guys and gals around that can answer your questions.

I gather your surname is Klein?

my preferences are (for what their worth):

John Small

Joel Klein

JJ Small

Jay small

all of those have a nice ring to them, I recon.

as for equipment, I'd be more inclined to look into the S4 instead (for it's time code abilities)... alternatively, the XDJ-aero because it's basically used for rekordbox and all you'd need to take with you to a club when you start getting gigs is your headphones and USB stick to plug into cdj2000s.