Rekordbox Key Detection

philallen11

Hey guys,

For the moment I dont know what to buy an external software application for detecting keys. I therefore am using Rekordbox to analyse the keys however I'm doubting the accuracy as it is changing keys of songs bought on Beatport, sometimes only slightly and sometimes 2 notes. Does anyone know how accurate rekordbox is and also how to write the key info into the name of the song automatically?

Thanks

We recently discovered that Beatport's key analysis is not provided by artists or labels, they infact have their own detection software which doesn't seem to be that accurate.

Rekordbox key detection is so far pretty untested and an unknown quantity. Havn't herd of anyone using it or big names supporting it, would highly recommend Mixed in key which is by par the most popular key detection software, a few guys on here including myself use it and plenty of big names using it.

I've heard of plenty of artists switching to rekordbox key detection.

From reading on the Internet as well as my own experience, I think it is similar to other key detection software, with roughly 50%. Mixed in Key is also around this mark.

Here is a picture of one particular comparison that was done. Note it doesn't include rekordbox, however i'm fairly confident it's in a similar ballpark to MIK and rapid evolution. However note that rekordbox doesn't put your music in the camelot format and uses standard key notation (which you're probably already aware of) so it requires some musical knowledge about what keys work well harmonically with others, the circle of fifths etc.

keydetectchart1-640x379.png

Link up who is supposedly using RB key detection then Mitch seriously havn't herd much about it at all, and i am forever lurking the RB forums.

Also MIK does put them into camelot format not sure why you said it doesn't.

End of the day i would be skeptical to use RB detection until further testing and comparison is done.

Would love to see a new comparison featuring Traktor, RB, MIK etc, as most of the other graphs and tests including Mitch's are pretty old.

i did post it wrong initially, then i proof read it and fixed.

Pretty sure laidback luke, eats everything & mobin master are a few people who use the rekordbox keys.

the test i posted was using the latest version of MIK (5), so not sure how much newer you want

lol nice edit

MIK 5 has been out for awhile now, would also like the other new programs include, so i would like a fair bit newer, cheers.

always one for the controversy grem haha

i have heard of a few people employing the rekordbox key detection, i would note taht a couple of them are already spokesmen for pioneer. sooo take that however you like.

i cant think of many names off the top of my head besides a couple mitch named.

i just remember reading something about it the other day is all and making a similar comment of 'i didnt think many people actually used it'