Buying new sub and speakers

boostedVT

Hi guys,

I was just after a bit of advice. Firstly I am no pro Dj or anything, so this is all just for home use.

And I do love my sound so I am very particular about it.

I currently own a set of american audio dj decks which I will be upgrading to poineer ones later in future so I can plug in usb etc, and I am running a set of JBL JRX 125's off a crown amplifer.

Now its a very good set up for home use with very good clarity and good top end sound, however next to no low end bass.

What I am wanting to buy is a set of dual 18inch subs, I had a look at the RCF 8006 AS which was absolutely awesome (can anyone recommend something similar with the same kind of power).

I would also like to buy a set of self powered speakers like the Electro voice ones which allow direct ipod connectivity so I can just take them to mates places etc when doing small parties/gigs. (either a set of 12's or 15's)

So I dont know too much about this stuff so can someone tell me what the best options are. I dont really want to spend past $4000 for the sub. and maybe about $1200 max on the other speakers.

But I would like top quality range (no cheapy stuff)

I will also require a good decent crossover to hook everything up. (again I dont know much about these so if someone can explain more, that would be great)

Also where in melbourne is the best place to buy this gear from ( a few contacts would be great)

And I would only like to buy reputable brands such as RCF, EV, QSC etc

Mate unless you have at least a set of 4 private roadies I wouldn't even touch a dual 18.

I have a single 18, and it requires AT LEAST 2 people to get it in and out of the car, not to mention you will probably need a trailer to move the rest of it.

Look for home use you're not going to need pa, especially a dual 18, in fact studio stuff with a proper studio sub would be alot better, as pa tends to get abit boomy up close.

Id grab a pair of these, I'm getting them myself and they are incredible, the amount of low end they have is insane

http://www.belfieldmusic.com.au/krk-rok ... itors.html

And if you want more bass, you can get a krk 10 studio sub.

If your really stuck with pa though, grab these, soundpond use these for all there public events and they sound like they have a sub even without it. There also really light and mobile.

https://www.storedj.com.au/products/JBL-PRX615M

https://www.storedj.com.au/products/JBL-PRX618S-XLF

Seriously, a dual 18 will sound like rubbish in a home as all you will be able to hear is rattling (I'm not even kidding about that, especially under a verandah, its ridiculous).

You also could be limited by your cdj's and mixer, I've never trusted American audio when it comes to quality.

With the money left over from the monitors, you could get a pair of cdj 900's and a 800 mixer, which is an insanely good setup.

Seriously, monitors, get them.

Mate unless you have at least a set of 4 private roadies I wouldn't even touch a dual 18.

I have a single 18, and it requires AT LEAST 2 people to get it in and out of the car, not to mention you will probably need a trailer to move the rest of it.

Look for home use you're not going to need pa, especially a dual 18, in fact studio stuff with a proper studio sub would be alot better, as pa tends to get abit boomy up close.

Id grab a pair of these, I'm getting them myself and they are incredible, the amount of low end they have is insane

http://www.belfieldmusic.com.au/krk-rok ... itors.html

And if you want more bass, you can get a krk 10 studio sub.

If your really stuck with pa though, grab these, soundpond use these for all there public events and they sound like they have a sub even without it. There also really light and mobile.

https://www.storedj.com.au/products/JBL-PRX615M

https://www.storedj.com.au/products/JBL-PRX618S-XLF

Seriously, a dual 18 will sound like rubbish in a home as all you will be able to hear is rattling (I'm not even kidding about that, especially under a verandah, its ridiculous).

You also could be limited by your cdj's and mixer, I've never trusted American audio when it comes to quality.

With the money left over from the monitors, you could get a pair of cdj 900's and a 800 mixer, which is an insanely good setup.

Seriously, monitors, get them.

Thanks for the response mate. I hear what you are saying, but this stuff will mostly be used for private home use rather than parties etc, so I am not fussed about size etc.

And I know what you are saying about shit sound quality by having powerful speakers in a small room (house enviroment) but I am in the process of building a new house in a acerage so I am having a special man cave built for this. So this will not be an issue.

Have you heard the RCF 8006AS? How does it compare to the JBL stuff you mentioned above?

Heard it at a local music store a while back, its alright, but its more for major pa use , large halls ect... It's just not worth the price.

The jbl is alot better value for money, and sounds insane. with the fact that you can get the whole jbl setup for less than the price of the sub the choice is obvious.

Also it does extremely well outdoors, large functions ect. The dual 18 is overkill and just isnt worth the asking price.

Heard it at a local music store a while back, its alright, but its more for major pa use , large halls ect... It's just not worth the price.

The jbl is alot better value for money, and sounds insane. with the fact that you can get the whole jbl setup for less than the price of the sub the choice is obvious.

Also it does extremely well outdoors, large functions ect. The dual 18 is overkill and just isnt worth the asking price.

Yeah I hear what you are saying. But I just want something powerful enough to keep up in the future. I havent herd the JBL stuff so I cant comment, but I will look into them.

I am not too fussed on price as I am willing to spend the $4k on it. I saw full price of the RCF was $7000 but the guy at the audio shop said he can do me a deal for $4000.

You just ignored the advice of the dude in this forum who probably has the most recent experience with using PA gear. Who said using this stuff in a small space sounds like shit.

Unless your planned man cave us the size of Hall (ie one room at least the size of a regular house) and you plan on being well back from from your gear to listen to it, then you should take on some of the advice.

Smaller PA would be more suitable. Even better is probably high end Hi-Fi gear that will have better sound quality for personal use.

I wouldn't suggest near-field monitors as they are designed to be listened to in an ideal location and lose quality rapidly outside this area.

I wouldn't suggest near-field monitors as they are designed to be listened to in an ideal location and lose quality rapidly outside this area.

Good point, forgot about this one. Will look into some wide field ones now.

Krk 10's have a huge sweet spot at least though, soundpond use em in there studio and they sound amazing through the entire room.

no stress guys. I will have a listen to what you guys have mentioned above and see how I go.

Just so you know the room that the audio gear is going into is around 20squares (size of a average house)

Hence why I wanted something big. But I know this is still going to be overkill