JaymzPhoenix - Dark Progressive 003

JaymzPhoenix

Andy Weed - Womb

Luis Bondio & Santiago Teillagorry - Aquatic Process (Silinder Remix)

Dpen - We Are All Geeks (Luis Bondio Remix)

Luca Rossi - Retun of the Sun

Tabriz & Zuckermann - Stellar Drifter

Bernie Allen - Soundscape

Exequiel Gomez - Arte

Silvio Gutierrez - Reason to Forget

Luis Bondio - waiting For (Deepfunk Remix)

Enjoy :)

https://soundcloud.com/jaymzphoenix/jaymzphoenix-dark-progressive

• 1 month later...

I like this. Not the style of music I would listen to, but I can really appreciate what it is (too dark for my tastes, I like happy tunes). But for these kinds of melodic kind of mixes I really like when the songs mix together almost seamlessly. Mixing in key helps a lot here, and just by ear it sounds like you are? From what I have heard so far (only about half way through) I would have liked the transitions between song 1 & 2 and 2 & 3 to be a bit less abrupt. Between 3 & 4 is perfect (as an example of what I am talking about).

Of course this is all very nit-picky. As there is absolutely nothing wrong with what is here. Song selection seems to be good and well mixed.

I've got to head out (and can't listen to the rest) but what I might have tried is:

1. Blend the 2nd song into the 1st so the bass line that starts at 8:23 kicks in the beat after the first song's beat drops at about 7:22 (good use of EQ's here to make this work). Also keeps the beat going, without letting the energy drop.

2. After the 2nd songs drop and the bass come back in at 12:30 I might try coming in with the 3rd songs bass line here (ie kill bass on first song, start 3rd like at 14:03). Because this is a natural point in the tune for the bass to kick back in it will sound fairly natural, even though the bass/beat is from a different tune. Provided keys match/compatible it should sound ok. Then either let the 2nd song play out or use EQ to fade it out.

These points may or may not work (can't tell until I try, just going from ear here). Just what I would do. This is also my style not yours, so take that as you will. No two DJ's will mix the same, and that is a great thing IMO.

Thanks for the review Dr, very thorough. Finally someone that actually knows what they are talking about hahaha.

Totally agreed with the mixes of 1/2, 2/3, that's a bad habit from mixing trance where you get away with it, definitely doesn't work with progressive when you need to extended the mixes a little bit.

Point 1 & 2 - I'm going to see what that sounds like, as always flow is important.

Yes I do mix in key or manipulate -1/+1 keys. Anything further out than this starts becoming weird for me.

Out of the 3 Dark Progressive sets, I'd have to say this is the worst one. Didn't put as much time into the track selection and composure, and unfortunately it shows a bit. First half of 1 and 2 are much better I think, have to reupload 2 as the 2nd track's volume is screaming for some reason and is distorting everything.