Mixing Hip Hop - Transition between tracks

Hoops14

Hey guys, ive only been practicing for about a week now, but one of the hardest things im finding is the transition between tracks. i know this is the hardest thing in DJ-ing, but i find it alot easier to mix dance. im just not familiar with many mixing techniques in Hip Hop music. im sure there's others here that would be interested too!

Any tips, techniques or comments?

hey hoops.

in an earlier post i mentioned some tips about RnB but i think the same goes for hip hop.

its hard to transition because of the lack of empty phrases (i.e. no vocals or defining melody).

in the old school people would mix into an instrumental of the next track, then go from the instrumental into the original mix of the song. this allows you to make a long mix if you want. Note however the phrases are probably only 8 bars long.

if your quick enough you can mix into the outro of a song which may be all music, then quickly mix from the outro into the same song but at the position that you want. this trick is probably more for RnB but some hip hop tracks have extremely long outros that then go into the fade (of course some tracks have people preaching over the outro so of course you cant use that, e.g the end of every tupac song).

if you using a digital vinyl system create a 8 bar loop of an insrumental part (the intro or just after bridge at the break), then mix into this first, and then mix into the song. because its instrumental and looped you can even do a long mix.

i too just dived right in and tried to do hip hop/ club hop and was finding it extremely difficult, then went back to house at least to master beat matching and phrase matching. so all of the above is theoretical but i got the the first tip from z-trips how-to part of the scratch documentary, and the third tip is pretty much the first tip but using loops. the second tip i came up w/ in my head but have yet to try.