Multi-track recording with Audacity

Cee

I am getting to the stage where I need to make multi-track recordings with my synth's and drum machines.

Has anybody got any hints on how to get the multiple tracks synced with each other i.e so the parts are actually in time with each other.

Is it just a matter of lining up the track's once the recording is made I was thinking I could have click track generated by the drum machine (it's the master for the midi synch) at the intro which I turned off before I introduced any of the synth patterns.

I know i should probably just learn how to use abelton I just perfer to work outside of a daw.

Audacity is a daw - just a very basic one. Ableton free or any basic daw would make this easy - not sure how to do it in audacity exactly.

So I assume what you're doing is recording all your stems individually, then you just want to arrange them all?

Correct basically laying down layer after layer of music but getting the syncing tight so that its in time with each other. I guess you need to teach me some abelton basics. In the mean time I am trying to work out if I can do it in audacity I have done so with non rhythmic tracks but I would like to try and add some more drums so far I have only done so by recoding in one take.

Have a look at this

It's a pretty rough tutorial, but I think it will help with showing how to move the tracks back/forward to get everything in time. I'd suggest starting with your kick / drums, however have a bit of silence before the kick starts, so you have room to move your other elements back to fit (if need be). You can then cut that bit of silence off when you bounce the track out.

Here is one that shows EQing in audacity

Another key element in a mixing is (sidechain) compression. Apparently there is an "Auto-Ducking" feature in audacity that can do this. However all of the above seems a bit clunky compared to ableton for me. I'd be happy to show you through just arranging / mixing music one weekend

Seems like abelton is the go especially if I can use it as the midi master clock

The tr-8 has a usb midi connection which then hopefully then sync everything else with traditional midi din conections sounds like a plan. My Xoxbox is nearly finished too so bring on the aciddee. :thumright:

P.s I can't see the links you have posted

• 2 months later...

If you wanna use it exclusively for recording you'd be better off using pro tools express/first imo

Do you have the ability to multi-track record or is it just one instrument at a time?

If you're using older analogue hardware at all, as soon as you press stop on the sequencer everything can be slightly off time when you press start again so stopping then recording all instruments then arranging them in time can be a nightmare.