newbie wanting to get into production

RhemyD

well i just use the dr rex to loop beats and occasionally the thor synths.

it can do SO MUCH more but i havn't explored it yet..

but yea, it sort of lines up like fruity loops (one 'line' is a bar of whatever the sample is and u can chop change and cut and paste and shit)

i mix in other shit (voices/acepellas etc) with various other smaller software programs

• 1 month later...

FL Studio is pretty decent

the way i think of a remix is that it's putting another instrumental or vocal over one or the other.

While production you are doing the same sort of thing but you are creating the Beat that is behind the vocals or also doing the vocals

• 5 months later...
FL Studio is pretty decent

the way i think of a remix is that it's putting another instrumental or vocal over one or the other.

While production you are doing the same sort of thing but you are creating the Beat that is behind the vocals or also doing the vocals

id say thats more of a mash.

my idea of a remix is taking components from one track, and building a new track around those components,

e.g the vocals cut up and put around a track youve made yourself...can also include the same midi from the original or little 1 shot hits.

as far as tips for production go

Find a DAW that suits you.

Never stop learning. their is plenty and plenty of youtube tutorials.

you can Never have enough samples. although youll learn to take a liking to a few. like youl have 4 favorite claps or what ever.

Find 1 maybe 2 VST's and learnt he inside out. no point having 5 or 6 that you barley know how to use.

Dont quit because your not making a record label sounding beat straightaway it takes time. just practice.

listen to lots of diffrent types of music.

although its cool to take little ideas from other producers. dont try and imitate. try and make your own sound.

ummmmmm what else.

making a tune is not the only part of it. learn what compression/limiting is as well as eq'ing. there is ALOT more to production then you think.

hope it all works out

jb

Start by downloading demos of some DAWs until you find one that your comfortable with using.

You should definately study up on synthesis (subtractive, frequency modulation, etc.) and you will need some basic music theory knowledge.

As far as remixing, I wouldn't get to caught up in that until you have a bit of experience under your belt, but pretty much you get stems of a song, vocals bassline etc, and put your own sound into it, use vocals, recreate parts on a different instrument, pretty much whatever.

Hope that helps.

Chev.

Start by downloading demos of some DAWs until you find one that your comfortable with using.

You should definately study up on synthesis (subtractive, frequency modulation, etc.) and you will need some basic music theory knowledge.

As far as remixing, I wouldn't get to caught up in that until you have a bit of experience under your belt, but pretty much you get stems of a song, vocals bassline etc, and put your own sound into it, use vocals, recreate parts on a different instrument, pretty much whatever.

Hope that helps.

Chev.

i actualy found that doing remix's helped me progress alot faster then makoing orginals. because they give you an outline of what to do. then once youve done enough remix's youve got the general idea of what to do an incorporate it into your own originals.

maybe just a personal thing though

i actualy found that doing remix's helped me progress alot faster then makoing orginals. because they give you an outline of what to do. then once youve done enough remix's youve got the general idea of what to do an incorporate it into your own originals.

maybe just a personal thing though

I just think that you learn a lot more comp wise by making original tracks rather than following someone elses guidelines.

But what ever works is the best option I guess.