So I've never really DJ'd

Bristles

Alright so here is what I'm thinking.. I have always just produced, but lately my music is feeling a bit better and on the hopes I get somewhere with it I'll need to able to perform live (der). I used to have a Hercules (I think) DJ controller but had to sell it when we moved back from Canada. I'm thinking I will get something like this - https://www.storedj.com.au/hercules-p32-dj-controller-w-32-perfomance-pads that way I can DJizzle or play live shit a bit easier.

But my main question is do I really need to do the CDJ thang or can I get away with a USB controller? Will it limit me in clubs etc?

You can take controllers to a lot of clubs these days. There's a few problems with it:

-people get in and start playing with cords on the back of the mixer without necessarily knowing what they're doing. Next minute, static and/or no sound = not a good look

-sometimes there's limited space in the booth, not leaving much room for a controller and laptop

-some people with controllers simply don't know how to beat match properly, meaning they can't mix into the DJ before them

If you're wanting to market yourself as a hybrid DJ/live thing then you'd just need to make that clear, and let the venue manager know that you'll need space to setup all your stuff.

Given all the above, if you want to get into clubs you need to know the pioneer equipment, which is why i recommend one of the pioneer controllers (you can even get ones that run without a laptop, with tunes on USB). Then possibly look at a separate USB controller with the sample pads to integrate in.

9 minutes ago, Mitch said:

You can take controllers to a lot of clubs these days. There's a few problems with it:

-people get in and start playing with cords on the back of the mixer without necessarily knowing what they're doing. Next minute, static and/or no sound = not a good look

-sometimes there's limited space in the booth, not leaving much room for a controller and laptop

-some people with controllers simply don't know how to beat match properly, meaning they can't mix into the DJ before them

If you're wanting to market yourself as a hybrid DJ/live thing then you'd just need to make that clear, and let the venue manager know that you'll need space to setup all your stuff.

Given all the above, if you want to get into clubs you need to know the pioneer equipment, which is why i recommend one of the pioneer controllers (you can even get ones that run without a laptop, with tunes on USB). Then possibly look at a separate USB controller with the sample pads to integrate in.

Right well that makes sense.. Is there much budget pioneer stuff that will make a good starter or crossover to professional stuff?

9 minutes ago, ThatPartyGuy said:

only issue i've had with controllers is that you need an ok computer to handle it. like you dont need something epic but i've had Traktor lag on me a few times out at a gig.

Would 2012 MacBook Pro with I think 2.9ghz do the trick? How legit of a laptop are talking?

Here are the pioneer controllers https://www.storedj.com.au/dj-equipment/dj-controllers?FilterFeature=ProductFeatureNames.Name:eq:Brand,Value:eq:Pioneer&PageProduct=1 

they do have some budget stuff, but it's obviously a different feel to the club stuff. Additionally, if you want to incorporate the live stuff, you'll need a 4 channel deck, as 2 will be for mixing tunes and you need a third for your samples/imrprov/live/whatever.

Your laptop will be good enough for specs fine as long as it's not full of other junk making it slow/unstable.

25 minutes ago, Mitch said:

Here are the pioneer controllers https://www.storedj.com.au/dj-equipment/dj-controllers?FilterFeature=ProductFeatureNames.Name:eq:Brand,Value:eq:Pioneer&PageProduct=1 

they do have some budget stuff, but it's obviously a different feel to the club stuff. Additionally, if you want to incorporate the live stuff, you'll need a 4 channel deck, as 2 will be for mixing tunes and you need a third for your samples/imrprov/live/whatever.

Your laptop will be good enough for specs fine as long as it's not full of other junk making it slow/unstable.

Ah true, I was wondering how live playing would work with mixing. Yeah I keep it free from dodgy sites, torrents etc. I got it pretty especially for ableton and production..

Bit off the first topic but is there much difference to rekordbox or serato starting out?

What's already been said sums it up perfectly. I'd say the pioneers are a decent little controller for mixing. Serato is good and the sb2 is a perfect way to get into it. I've ran traktor a few times in venues using the cdjs as controller (via USB - bypassing the traktor sound card) and it's pretty cool but an epic POS to set up. It's also annoying as hell when you need to set up after someone's set (which is technically during the last few songs). For me it's a total inconvenience so I carry SD cards and a few USBs so I can just plug and play.

Just good for thought - I recently got caught out not having an Ethernet cable and no backup SD or USB so learn to carry one of them too. Luckily my gig was for family and no fucks were given but it could easily happen at any time 

Edit: I've not used rekordbox but from what I've seen I'd say the programs are pretty similar, considering the pioneer controllers were pretty much plug and play with serato