mp3Tag - Keep your Music Collection sorted easily!

BeatLeSS

Found this program extremely helpful over the last few days as I re-sort through my music collection to ensure I've got all the tags correctly done and I've sorted out my conventions for how I'm going to move forward. This program has made it more efficient, I'm able to pull tag information directly from the filename if it's available, and then I can batch rename all the songs to Artist - Title (how I like) once that's done. It also gave me an explorer based view of all my tracks meta data so I could easily see which tracks were helpless in my hoarding process and had to be removed (couldn't identify any of the song quickly enough from either existing tags or filename).

Bit of a learning curve in how to perform all the functions, I haven't delved too deeply yet but will be looking at using some of the utility down the track.

This will be a program I keep in my aresnal for music enthusiasm.

Link for the program: https://www.mp3tag.de/en/

Couple of handy links to help through the program;

https://forums.mp3tag.de/index.php?showtopic=9143

https://forums.mp3tag.de/index.php?showtopic=16815

http://forums.mp3tag.de/index.php?showtopic=980#entry4110

https://forums.mp3tag.de/index.php?showtopic=16077

3,000 tunes easily done and sorted. Manually created the artist folders and moved files around as I found this quicker and easier with my knowledge, but did the tagging and renaming through MP3tag - made shit super quick compared to doing each individual file. 

Behold all it's glory!

XjmUhQh.jpg

rTssjmz.jpg

Looking at this turns my stomach haha when I think I've stayed on top of mine I always end up redoing it and it sucks wang. I use to create playlists in iTunes and bridge it across to Recordbox or Traktor / Serato. It made my life much, much easier than having them in folders

On 07/11/2017 at 11:42 AM, LabRat said:

Looking at this turns my stomach haha when I think I've stayed on top of mine I always end up redoing it and it sucks wang. I use to create playlists in iTunes and bridge it across to Recordbox or Traktor / Serato. It made my life much, much easier than having them in folders

This. iTunes keeps the folder structure in check based on the metadata. Tech is trends are moving toward less caring about folders, more about metadata, as it’s more efficient. Get on board, or be left in the dust

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry lads but I disagree. Folder structure is important to me when I want shit. And especially where certain file formats are only supported in certain areas, and with certain equipment and setups restricting the file formats once again. Metadata is all sorted, and that was part of the process, now the programs such as iTunes/RekordBox/Traktor/Serato etc I will have no problem with them.

E.g: WAV do not come with tags - this information needs to be manually done from somewhere, last time i kept on top of it I had to check my order histories and get the metadata information from the site I purchased the music from. Now I can easily get this information with verbose language via the filename, and do it in batches as each site follows it's on uniformity.

Another example would be promotional tracks where the comments and tags are just filled with garbage, I can remove all this before it hits my programs, again in batches. 

This for me is a way of digitising a physical collection, when I actually want to pick the file, I don't need to open a program and find file from there. I can port this collection around and easily navigate it, even if it is large, and have little to no problem on anyone elses setup or equipment.

That's all good mate. We're not saying you shouldn't be doing this. Personally for us, sorting our playlists in iTunes then bridging to record box is much less time consuming with the same result. Flac isn't supported but I don't have a need to use a format that doesn't benefit me. Besides, in the grand scheme of things, 99 out of 100 people I use to play to never knew the difference so importing MP3, AAC, wav and aiff into iTunes was all I needed and it served its purpose. Now I stream from Spotify so I don't have a reason to worry about sorting music anymore, which is actually quite nice 

• 1 month later...

Yeah I think you are confused, this isn't playlist sorting, this is file management. iTunes obviously serves it's purpose there. But iTunes is is a program that reads the file/folder structure, and when you don't have access to that, you lose it's purpose. It also won't edit metadata like BPM/Key and analyse the tracks for beatgrids, that still all needs to be done in other programs. :)