cracking my eggs-my first mix

eggssell

well not my first mix but first one i'm gonna chuck into the den. since ive just been sitting here for half a year commenting. :lol:

otay, its more a practice sesh then a mix. was done on the fly without track planning but obviously i have my tracks in "genre" bins. but i use the term lightly in that i put songs that i think will go together in the set.

why this and not any others i dont know i guess i figured it would be good to get some advice. i know no one has time to listen to mixes so ive put the rough timings. so maybe hop to 10 secs before the timing and listen for the transition :) / train wreck :cry: . i put my feelings on them.

1. 0.00 Cassian - Final Round

2. 3.00 Rockets - Running to you (a little offbeat and too loud, thought recovered alright)

3. 5.30 Ocelot - Our Time - Treasure finger remix (on beat but came off last track too abrupt. it was the song i swear! ha ha)

4. 8.20 Remady - No Superstar - Calvetron mix (train wreck. probably wrong song)

5. 12.00 Laidback Luke/ Greg Salto - Shine Your Light - Vocal Club mix (a little offbeat but generally okay)

6. 14.45 Justin Faust - Holdin' On - Nightriders remix (i liked this one so retired soon after)

Mixedeggs180510 by eggssell

sound cloud taking donkeys will put link when it finally arrives!!

Also PS. there is no disco section so this was closest i could get. cupe, what do you rection? move if not appliable. EDIT: scrap that it has electro ish anywho

damn. was listening to my own mix in headphones at lunch. the beatmatching sounds even worse...

so much so i fell like pulling the mix down, ha ha

as per my comments it sounded slightly off last night when i was reviewing thru the hi fi but on headphones you hear every unmatched beat (and the trainwreck in the middle is a shocker).

sucks. when setting the pitch i feel like its beatmatched right. i even finetune on split cues once i have it right using the one ear method. but i guess when it comes to actually dropping it im not getting it right on. i guess thats why per my previous thread, i use to like drop it, check it for about 8 beats then bring up the faders. this time round i was trying the drop it bring line fader up quickly to 70% and then make small adjusts as i bring up to full.

back to practicing grind i guess. i really wish i could hit it every day.

am i also holding the going out track too long? seems it.

okay will stop commenting now, i was meant to be seeking other peeps thoughts and advice (lots of advice so it seems).

EDIT: oh yeah and definitely electro in ther. ha ha ha

hey thanks man.

ha ha brave or dumb :oops: . as per above if i had access at lunch i woulda pulled it! but glad i didnt. (but prob will by end of the week) ;)

yeah youre right listenig to it it seems like songs are just chucked in, i prob get it all beatmatched (so i thought...) then get ready to chuck it in when i feel i can.

in regard to transition to track 3 at 5.30, the actual song i was coming out of all of a sudden drops to a low filter, but so little is coming thru it sounds like silence. maybe if it was in phrased it wouldnt have sounded so bad.

in regards to the risky move to no superstar at 8.20, i actually wanted to come in at the mellower bit (9.40 of my mix) and then allow the song to change the genre/ feel a bit when it breaks at 10.40. so no idea why i started mixing from the start of the song. your right should never of attempted straight genre change specially when songs aint matched or phrased.

in regards to your comment

general EQing: try and retain the most obvious frequency band to the very end to give the transition that extra length

can you pls clarify. ive tried to read up and look at heaps of tutes on EQ, but not really getting much (i guess most tutes are staraight up 4/4 minimal house). in the past i would kill bass of incoming, and then just slowly switch over. this time round generally I was going with bass at 70% and the rest at 100%

anywho cheers man, yeah need heaps of practice and will keep trying with this phrasing.

no probs.

with the EQing (this isn't for everyone), i tend to find he most dominating part (frequency band) i.e Low end (kick, bassline), mid (vocals, snares) or high (synth stabs, hats etc) and try fade that out last... So when bringing in a new song, you ussually fade out high first then mid the low, because the brain remembers lower frequencies easier, therefore you cant just kill them straight off.

However, in a song like... daft punk - harder better faster (deadmau5 remix), i'll kill the high and low first and leave the mids for the "w-w-work it" part.

get it. so you find the most charecteristic part of the song and try and retain that as long as possible, because if you kill it off to quickly, the listener will notice, very easily and it will screw with the energy levels